Hotels in Ubud and Bali

Jun 24th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Hotels in Ubud and Bali

We are going in August to Bali and then on to a dive island for 11 nights. When we return to Bali we were intending in staying in Ubud for 3 nights and then the last 2 nights near the beach. Not Kuta!

In Ubud we are looking for a boutique hotel and in Seminyak or Jimbranan a good 5 star hotel - any recommendations? Does anyone know what the Sofitel is like?

Thanks
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:00 AM

The Four Seasons Sayan is not quite a boutique hotel but it is one of the best hotels and has a small resort feel to it. It is not nearly as big as Four Seasons Jimbranan Bay. Yes, it is $100/night more than a few others in Ubud but worth it. I would avoid the Amandari it was too formal when we visited it while staying at Sayan.
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:35 AM

If you want a boutique hotel that's intimate, stylish, friendly, has a great spa and great location, then I highly recommend the new Uma Ubud in Ubud. I thought it was fantastic! It's also just across the street from two excellent restaurants in Ubud - Mozaic and Naughty Nuri's. If you're into design and appreciate stylish details everywhere, then you'll love Uma.
Jun 28th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Will look at the Uma also the restaurants - very useful.
Four Seasons is not in the budget and is too large for me but thanks for the thought.
Jun 28th, 2005, 10:06 PM

U can also look at the Waka group properties in Ubud - www.wakaexperience.com. We stayed at Waka Padma in 2003 - we are big time boutique property people. Also look at Pita Maha - gorgeous. In Seminyak not sure if your budget will extend to the Legian but stunning. Is also a nice Oberoi property there. We stayed at the Ritz at Jimbaran which is a normal huge Ritz property.
Jun 28th, 2005, 11:03 PM

Constant, my favorite resorts in Bali are the Legian (regular rooms not the Club) at Seminyak beach and The Alila in Ubud.

Sorry to be repetitious but I'll just cut and paste what I wrote on another thread: All of the regular rooms at the Legian face the ocean and have substantial balconies. The property is well designed with beautiful gardens and a stunning pool. The service is excellent. It is both romantic and stylish.

The Legian is also well situated close to some of the best restaurants, shopping, clubs and spas in Bali. La Lucciola and KuDeTa are two within walking distance.

The beach is wide, sandy and goes on for miles. The surf in this area is a bit rough, however, and should only be attempted by strong swimmers. Sunset from the balcony is outstanding.

The Sofitel is in the same general area as the Legian. I've never stayed there but have visited. It's a bit more commercial than the Legian, but recently renovated and cleaned up.

In the Ubud area I prefer to stay outside of the town itself along the Ayung River valley, which is a profoundly beautiful area. All of the hotels run shuttles to Ubud so it's not really that inconvenient.

I've stayed at the Alila for years and although it's not perfect, it meets most of my requirements for aesthetic and service. The suites, which are really large rooms with wraparound terraces overlooking the river valley, are particularly nice. The pool and public areas are lovely.

I also like a new propery called Kayumanis which is on the same gorge. Very intimate and very beautiful. I had lunch there several times (Thai food) but haven't actually stayed.

The Uma is a good bet in Ubud itself, chic, but a bit claustrophobic.

I second the recommendation of Mosaic and would add Lemak plus the restaurants at the Alila, Kayumanis and Begawan Giri.
Jul 4th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Gosh thanks for all the advice it is so confusing to know where to choose but they are all helpful so thanks a lot. I am going to check them out on the net and take the plunge. The resturants are also a great deal of help. I love holidays but hate choosing the hotels in case they are not what I like when I get there - know the feeling! Thanks everyone.
Jul 4th, 2005, 08:03 PM

If you're still considering Uma Ubud, they don't really have many pictures on their website. You can find some more photos in the "Hip Hotels Orient" book or you can ask the hotel to send more photos to you. They did this for me and it gave me a much better idea of the place.

I don't think the rooms at Uma are claustrophobic at all. They are bright, airy, and white-on-white. Lots of natural light and sunshine. On the other hand, I didn't like Alila at all. Their cheapest rooms were like dark little caves and were very claustrophobic. At Uma, I liked the terrace rooms the best which I thought were nicer than the more expensive garden rooms. I've heard good things about Kayumanis, so that might be a good option too.

Jul 8th, 2005, 11:04 PM

http://www.tegalsari-ubud.com/enhanced/index.php

I stayed here for 4 nights and it was my FAVORITE hotel of my entire 2 month trip in Asia. The rooms are spacious, clean and beautiful with modern bathrooms. There is a stone bottomed pool and the staff is so friendly. They really treat you like friends and are so welcoming! Take a look at the website- I stayed in the duplex room and you have to see it to believe it!
Jul 9th, 2005, 10:29 PM

You've probably already made your bookings but here's more advice anyway....I have been to Bali 14 times and stayed at all range of hotels. Last June we stayed for the first time at The Legian Suites in Seminyak. It was undoubtedly the loveliest hotel in Bali of the many I've experienced. It is/was A$400 per night. Service impeccable and discreet, all suites view the ocean. Ours had 2 terraces, great kitchen, huge living area, celadon colour scheme, coconut wood floors, wonderful bathroom, fab toiletries, room overlooking lush gardens, infinity pool with the ocean beyond the horizon. Breakfast was anything you want cooked to order....even the hotel shop stocked interestimng objets we didn;t see elsewhere despite having trawled excellent shops many time across the island. Excellent concierge assisted us with complicated flight changes....a true 5 star experience. It's also walking distance to terrific restaurants, eg Ku de Ta, Cafe Hu'u, La Lucciola, Bodyworks massage etc. At the same time we visited friends at the Oberoi in Seminyak which was much less salubrious and more expensive. It has a sister hotel in Ubud whose name I forget but also superb. If you fancy Candidasa in the south east then Amankila is rated recently by CondeNast Traveller as one of the best in the world and friends whio stayed there recently agree.
Jul 25th, 2005, 02:50 AM

Perhaps PaulS can help me since he has been to Bali so often.We are visiting Bali with our Spiritual Master and would want to stay in a Traditional Balinese hoteldeep in the Paddy fields along a river if possible.Any ideas please ?Any can you recommend any vegetarian restaurants please ?Thank you