Sleepless in Canada

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sleepless in Canada

Hi,
I have been trying to plan a trip for myself and SO. He is in Nigeria on business and I'm in Canada. We really want to meet up and spend time together. I was planning to go to Nigeria but there was more involved than I anticipated so cancelled my trip. We thought of Dubai and I considered the Maldives and Barbados. I looked up destinations that could be somewhat in the middle. It's been stressful as I have been going through some health issues and wish that I could just snap my fingers and have a trip booked and ready to go but unfortunately, it's not going to happen.
We were planning for Christmas but noticed that prices were cheaper a few days later so looking at December 27 or 28 until January 10 or 11.
We want to spend time together, relax and treat it like a honeymoon as we have been separated for a long time and really miss eachother. We were supposed to get together this summer but it didn't work out. We have never been to the Maldives but looks like the perfect place but wondering about costs for food, etc. Also, there are so many resorts and transfers, but would prefer to land and go to my resort, villa or airbnb. I thought about an all-inclusive to DR but the cost was considerably more for my partner and the flight was longer. I looked up flights for both of us and it was about $1700 for me and $1400 for my SO. I didn't look much into Barbados so will post in that forum but wanted to share a bit of the back story. I appreciate your input, suggestions as to where to stay, accommodations and meals. We are budget friendly and can't afford the luxurious water villa that are there although it would be wonderful but we're not rich. I appreciate your positive and encouraging feedback. I have been stressing about this as I have been planning to go to Nigeria for the past 4 months but just cancelled on Monday so this is why we are looking for something else now but losing hope. It's been frustrating but hope that we can figure something out.
Thanks.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Maldives are a very expensive destination, There are lots of other options in SE Asia that will be less expensive and just as beautiful. For instance, Thailand has gorgeous beaches, wonderful hotels and great food at a fraction of the prices in the Maldives. If you can wait until after the new year, prices will be even better. You might also look at resorts in Malaysia. You would want to be on the Andaman Sea (for best weather), so look at Phuket, Krabi, Ko Lanta, Khoa Lak in Thailand or Langkawi in Malaysia. Note that All-Inclusives are not popular in this part of the world.

I'm sure you can find something wonderful! Good luck!