Koh Chang, Thailand experiences Wanted

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jamesA has been very encouraging as has one other fodors poster, but i would like to hear from others about your experiences on koh chang, getting there and away (both by land and air) and anything else you would wish to share....we will have 5 days there in june at the Barali Beach Resort...

restuarants on the west coast would be of special interest, either inside or outside a hotel...day activities not to be missed, etc...you know the drill..

in advance thanks very much...

bob
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:45 AM

Some Restaurant reviews on Virtualtourist for you:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/160f79/2/?o=2
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks james...

james i heard from my american friend today who has moved to thailand and he has taken a place in a large building with a pool in the pattaya area...he was the one who i asked about jotiem from you a few months ago....i will see him there in june...his name is steve palmer if you should run into him...
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

thanks james, i looked at every sub section of that site...made some notes...we are looking forward to it...just hope that we are not expecting too much...if it is anything like the peace resort we will be very happy with the whole island experience...
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:27 AM

Bob, did you look into what the weather is like on Koh Chang for the May June time frame? For some reason yesterday I got all worried that you would be there during their monsoon season! What is the Peace resort like that you talked about in your last post?
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

travelduo----jeff---i have choosen to ignor the weather...might be a mistake...did you take malaria tablets??...we got our prescriptions last week and included our time in KC...did you pretty much just hang around barali??

the peace resort was just perfect for us...we had one of their five sea front bungalows...we were 50 feet from the sand....the place is set up sort of in a U shape...there is a walkway along the edge of the beach with a small wall down to the beach...when we were there the sea water was murky and the sea bed sort of silty so we only went into the ocean once for a short time...the beach is nice and maybe 100 feet deep...there are palm trees over the walkway...there are chairs on the beach as well as along the walkway.. the restaurant is just above the beach at one end of the property, the pool bar shack, and a lovely free form pool, which is quite new and offers full sun and shade...there is a raised platform where massage is done---200B 60 min for traditional...in back of this are various lesser rate bungalows...some have outdoor shower rooms (enclosed)...our bathroom was not air conditioned but was part of the room (enclosed and roofed)...so the bungalows, of which there must be 75, go back in the grove in layers...the cheapest being nearer to the back of the property....we had a concern that the air might be still nearer to the back....you have a nice little covered porch area with a table and two benches, plus a clothes rack for bathing suit drying....we had drinks out there a couple of times...

the restaurant is very good and very reasonable...they have thai and western foods...the breakfast is a nice limited buffet...very adequate too...we ate there several nites and a couple of lunches...
they do laundry there same day if you wish...

there were some boat rentals, etc on the beach...

bophut town is about a 10-15 minute walk down the beach or by the main road...there are good restaurants and bars there and all were quite reasonable...a few shops too....

we rented a car for a couple of days....i have a good cheap contact for that if you wish...about 1/2 the price of the hotel arranged rentals...

peace bills themselves as one of the last thai family run resorts on the island and i think that is true...

chaewang beach is about a 15 minute ride....bus/taxi are at the end of the driveway...

lots of other good hotels in the neighborhood to eat at too...

we would return there in a heartbeat!!

you can tour the island in a day easily...it is still a very laid back place...it will be fully spoiled within 10 years however...
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:38 PM

i just checked out the peace resort website and it looks to be comparable to barali. we didnt take any malaria pills and didnt see any mosquitos at all until we did the elephant trek into the mountains and then i was covered! i got really worried, but when we got back to the bungalow i didnt have any bites!?
also i am sure you know this but KC is much more quite than samui i think. there is no car rental that i saw only motor scooter
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:18 AM

Bob- I just found this site
www.ko-chang-travel.com on the lonelyplanet site. It has some nice pictures-don't know if you've seen it yet.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the tips...anyone else?? seems that koh chang is not as popular as phuket????
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:10 PM

I had a very hard time finding stuff about it on here! I really hope you like it as much as we did, if not I am going to feel horrible!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

jeffrey---we will totally blame you for ruining our entire vacation even the part not on chang!!!!!!! hahaha