ski & hotspring in mid December in Japan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a place to enjoy ski & hotspring in mid December? With hotel name?
I´m thinking about Hokkaido, somewhere near Sapporo.
Also is there a place where all of us (a couple and 2 teenager daughters)could enter together in the hotspring?
Thank you!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:21 PM

There is skiing in the national parks south of Sapporo. There is a famous onsen in the area, Noboribetsu Onsen, though I am not sure of it's proximity to the ski slopes. I stayed at the Hanaya Ryokan in Noboribetsu which was nice but would stay at the Daiichi Takimotokan for the baths there which are wonderful. I vaguely recall another very favorable review on this forum about a ryokan in Noboribetsu but don't recall the name of that one.

You can find skiing and onsen info at the JNTO webpage. See the links near the bottom right of the web page:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/RTG/PTG/index.html
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Hi there,
Not sure if you'v already booked...but...I'd recommend JOzankei Hot Spring village, 30 mins from Sapporo and then another 30 mins to Kokusai Ski Resort..1 hour to NIseko/Kiroro etc
There are some big hotels in the village which you can maybe book via an agent or on the net...a slightly smaller hotel is the Sansui Hotel, not beuatiful to look at - but they do have a mixed public outdoor hot bath!
The bigger hotels may have family rooms with private baths.

amanda
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Hi Rose,
I was talking to some students yesterday and they said the Daichi Hotel in Jozankei has baths which can only be used by the guests on one floor of the hotel, and can it can be reserved ahead of time for 2 hours private use for one group.
Rooms with private baths isn't really the idea of onsen hotels, people aren't shy about bathing naked with strangers - but of course you and your daughters would be ok together, your husband would be on his own - unless he makes an "onsen-friend" from among the guests!
Rooms with private baths are always costly and are designed more for honeymoon couples.
I'll let you know if I hear of anywhere else
amanda
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, mrwunrfl.

Thanks, Amanda.
I will check your indications.
I would like to have private bath for my whole family because otherwise just my husband would be apart of us... But it doesn´t have to be all the time, so the idea of using the private bath for a few hours sounds great!

By the way, someone suggested me the Suguinoi Hotel, a hotspring resort in Beppu. It seems to be very good, looking at its website (Japanese version). Now I am in a doubt... But as I want to ski also, I think I will prefer the hotspring in Hokkaido.
(Or one night in each one?...)

Thanks,
Rose
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 10:56 AM

Beppu is quite a distance from Hokkaido. It is four hours to fly from Sapporo's New Chitose Airport to the Oita aiport which serves Beppu. The trip would involve a connecting flights. I've been to Beppu and it is interesting and Suginoi does sound interesting, but I don't think that Beppu is worth that much traveling for an overnight and I doubt that adding Suginoi would be enough to make it worthwhile. You can find what you want in Hokkaido.

Here is some lodging info for Noboribetsu Onsen:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...56_indacc.html
Noboribetsu Onsen is not as well-known as Beppu, I think, but it is an excellent choice for an onsen visit.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Hi Rose!

did you find somewhere in Hokkiado for skiing and onsen?
Today I am going out for the first ski - to Kokusai above Jozankei.
Hope you found somewhere!
Amanda
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 12:38 PM

AmandaH, I hope you have/had a wonderful time skiing today!

I've been wondering whether or not the Japanese ski equipment rental places have much in the way of large-sized equipment, like size 12 boots, that would be larger than typical Japanese size.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

AmandaH,

Thank you for the interest!
I have no more time, I will depart tomorrow!! I have decided to look for a tour package (air ticket + hotel) after I arrive to Tokyo. It seems to be less expensive and then I can save time because it would be a long journey by train...
I will consider your hotel suggestions when I look for the tour package.

Thanks a lot!
Rose
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 01:03 AM

Hi Rose

if I still get you..

I was In Jozankei today...skiing at Kokusai...;-))
The ladies in the tourist office in JOzankei say: there are 3 hotels in the village with private baths in the room...but also each of these 3 will do a few hours rental for a day visiting group, so even if you stay somewhere with no group bath - you can go and get one. REntal is Y2,000 toY3,000 for 2 hours.
The hotels are the Dai-Ichi, Nokumori and the Yukunoyado Shiratoro.

so enjoy..!
We spent a few hours at Kokusai with great snowy and views all over in the sunshine...and then ended up in the outdoor mixed-sex pool at the Sansui Hotel, it's on the main street in Jozankei and opposite the tourist office. Y600 per peson and ladies can get a modesty wrap.

By the way big boots - Kokusai have up to size 30 for ski and snowboard boots...many more big foreigners in recent years so most Hokkaido ski rental are ok - maybe get a hotel clerk to call ahead and check?

amanda
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

AmandaH,

I´m still home and have only 10 more hours...

Thank you so much for your kindness!!!!
I´ll look for your hotel and onsen suggestions!

Nice to hear that you could already ski!

And what do you mean with modest wrap? Is it a towel? Isn´t it possible to enter with swimming clothes, in this case of mixed-sex pool?

I´ll try to access the Internet while travelling.

Many many thanks and forgive my poor English because my native language is Portuguese...

Rose
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Hi Rose,

are you enjoying your travelling? Hope you are NOT in Hokkaido today, stormy and windy and wet....
about the modesty wrap...no, you can't wear a swimsuit in an Japanese onsen...but places that have mixed sex pools (and there aren't many) will usually have a "yugi" which in the Jozankei place is a light green, cotton wrap with sticky back tape, you put it round your body like a short towel and it covers all your bits!! then you can go into a pool with strange men...who of course won't be wearing ANYTHING!!!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Amanda.
Thank you for your reply.

Now I am in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, and will go to Jozankei next Monday. It is very cold here, and it must be colder in Hokkaido!
I hope to enjoy the onsen at Daiichi hotel and the ski at Kokusai!

Thank you for everything!
Rose
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:39 PM

rose1313, I am looking forward to a report from Hokkaido, esp. you impression of the onsen.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 08:29 AM

AmandaH,
Hi, I'm wondering if the info about the baths in Jozankei at the 3 hotels is still valid for this winter (feb '07)? I posted a query about a similar question before finding your info. Also, would you recommend visiting both Jozankei and Noboribetsu with 2 modest teens? Is it possible to travel directly between the two onsen? And on a completely different note, do you know anything about the Hokkaido International School? Thanks
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Those two places are not close to each other and there are a lot of mountains in between. There are buses from Sapporo New Chitose Airport to both places.

There is a map on page 6 of:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-101.pdf

Nobo is in the lower part of the map by the lake. Jozankei is to the right of the map scale.

I took a bus from Nobo to Lake Toya. That road is not shown on the map but goes northwest from Nobo to the road shown on the map going to Toyako. Am guessing it would take several hours and a connection to go by bus over the mountains.

There would be a bus between Jozankei and Sapporo, of course. Then train to Noboribetsu town. It couldn't be any simpler to catch the bus that goes from JR Noboribetsu station to Nobo Onsen.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 04:34 AM

HI Soohoo

The International School? yes - very good...I have various freinds whose kids go/went there...very expensive...the head teacher is Wayne Rutherford - are you going to go and see him when you are here?
The students come from all over - Us/ Russia/ Malaysia / India / China/
sapporo has a lot on international families - business people and people at the university...

are you planning to come live here?

amanda
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:04 AM

thanks for the info - visiting the school is the reason for our visit to Japan (short week in Hokkaido post). Unless it's a really disappointing visit, my daughter will be boarding there for high school. We did a tour of Japan last year and she's smitten. I'm still not sure whether we should visit both Jozan and Nobo with Sapporo or Otaru in between. Are there other attractions besides skiing (which we don't do)? Is it best to make reservations by phone or wait until we get there for the places I can;t get online?
Are you in the travel business? It's really nice to get information from people who actually have experience!
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 05:11 PM

I see from your other post that you are not keen on long bus rides. Traveling between Jozankei and Noboribetsu Onsen by bus would be a long trip, I think.

If you chose to visit Otaru, Sapporo, and Jozankei then you could travel by bus. You can also take the train between Sapporo and Otaru.

If you chose to visit Otaru, Sapporo, and Noboribetsu Onsen, then you could do it by train. You could also make a stop for a few hours at Shiraoi and visit the Ainu village. You could use a 5-day JR Hokkaido rail pass:
http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/index.html