Sinhcafe

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sinhcafe

Has anyone used this tour company, http://www.sinhcafevn.com? Their prices are so much less than others that it makes me suspicious. I've also read that there are Sinh clones out there. How do I know which one is legit? Can you give some recommendations. Thanks for all your help!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:37 PM

Yes, I booked a one day tour to the Mekong (My Tho and Ben Tre) through SinhCafe on De Tham St. in the Pham Ngu Lao area in HCMC. We booked the tour after we arrived in HCMC. The website you refer to is the same Sinhcafe we used to book this tour. For this tour they do not pick you up at your hotel; you go to the SinhCafe on De Tham St. in HCMC as that's where the bus departs.
http://www.sinhcafe.com.vn/webplus/v...gid=23&aid=671
We got a lot out of the tour for the small amount we paid.

I've also used Hotels-in-Vietnam for a Sapa tour with okay results. I booked the Sapa tour after we arrived in Hanoi as we wanted to check out what the weather would be like in Sapa before we made a commitment to a Sapa tour.
http://www.hotels-in-vietnam.com/hotels_hanoi.html

There is Handspan in Hanoi but two yrs ago, we didn't use them for Halong Bay because if you try to book ahead of time, even a couple of days, they won't let you know what the total cost is at the time you book as it depends on how many people people who book the tour - the more people the less it is.

What type of tour are you planning?
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, what kind of tour? Day? Overnight? Open bus? There are a lot of clones around, even using the same bird logo. Since the website now has addresses for the branches, best advice is to check the address carefully - in Hanoi you may find a clone right next door to the "real thing". I didn't tour with them - I used Delta Adventure Tours for the Mekong and Saigon to Phnom Penh (OK but not great). If you're considering the open bus tours be aware that while dirt cheap & convenient the buses are full of hungover backpackers and they'll try hard to get you into their partner hotels - next time I took the train.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for replying! I'd like to book local tours for the cities my husband and I are planning to visit, Ha Noi, Hue, DaNang, Hoi An, Saigon. This way, we can plan what we like to do around our schedule. I've read that www.vietnamstay.com is pretty reasonable and reliable. Sinhcafe prices are the lowest, must be for packbacker type of travel. Though there's nothing wrong with this type of travel, I think we're a little too old so we prefer a little bit more comfort, though not necessarily luxury 5-star.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you mean you just want a day tour after you get to a city there's no need to book ahead, you'll find plenty of competition for your business when you get there. I'd also recommend booking your own hotels, or at least using an Asian discount hotel broker. Vietnam is very easy traveling. vietnamstay.com looks a little pricy to me, but I did some checking and it seems prices have gone up - Handspan is asking $122 for a single on the Dragon's Pearl Halong Bay trip, which cost me $88 Nov. '04 - but maybe the extra is for booking ahead as IsisMnroe suggests. Also, no need for a guide in Hoi An or DaNang.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:54 PM

You are suspicious about cheap prices? Well, you get what you pay for.

I know people who have done el cheapo Halong Bay trips for $30US overnight, and then complained. What do they expect?

Handspan is still the best middle of the road cruise, from my understanding, unless you want to pay a lot more for the luxurious Emeraude Classic Cruise which is more than $200US.

There are many clones of well known tour company brands such as Handspan and Sinh Cafe, as there doesn't seem to any law protecting trademarks/business names etc.

I have also had good reports about www.vietnamestay.com
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:08 AM

I just booked hotels and a driver through Vietnamstay, I actuallly went to their office in Hanoi because they asked for sending back a fax with copies of credit card which was a bit of trouble, i think perhaps most local websites require this, i.e. not your traditional booking on line where you type in your credit card info. So since I was in Hanoi already I decided to check them out. It is a short cab ride and they turned out to be very nice people. I haven't gone onto my booked stuff yet so I will post again after I get to them, but just initial impressions were very decent and professional people, the guy in charge even showed me their special satellite mapping program on the computer. Their hotel prices are the lowest I could find on line (be sure to check if each website includes taxes) and the driver pick up from Danang to Hue hotel was $55. (the trip is 105 km and will take 3 hours with some photo stops)
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:53 PM

also have www.southpacifichp.com the quality its different with Sinh cafe they take last tourist for do the tour for make it more friendly, better service.