Singapore Malls

Search

Singapore Malls

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singapore Malls

I'll be visiting Singapore for 4 days between the 28th and 31st Dec. Need help as to which shopping mall to visit amongst the numerous one's which exist. I have two half day to spare and would like to visit malls which are NOT full of high-end brands but rather mid-range priced. Maily looking for clothes, accessories etc. Would prefer the same to be on Orchard road itself.. Fodorite's please help.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Off the top of my head, I can't think where you'd go if you DID want high-end brands, but maybe your idea of high-end is different than mine.

All the places around the Orchard and Scotts intersection are pretty much mid-range. Lucky Plaza is where you'll find the cheapest stuff, Ngee Ann City has some high-end brand shops, but the huge Takeshimaya department store in it is more mid to lower end. The Isetan in Wisma Atria tends to have more high-end stuff than the Isetan in Shaw Center, which has a wider selection. C.K. Tang also has good prices.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Not an expert in Singapore shopping, but I really enjoyed Burgis Junction at the Burgis MRT stop. Huge complex, with old buildings between glass-covered atriums. Most of the shops are midrange.

It's not on Orchard Road, however.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:59 PM

BUGIS Junction is a nice shopping center, with a Japanese department store and lots of restaurants. None of the buildings is actually more than 10 years old, though. They just built them to look that way.

Across the street is Bugis square, which really is old. There's a funky market in the alley running through the middle of the block. If you continue up the street on the other side of the alley, you get to Albert Court(?), which has a branch of OG, a sort of factory outlet chain in Singapore. It's kind of like Ross in the US, but quality is a bit better.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Thanks, Michael. See, I know so little about Singapore I can't even get the spelling right! I just find that shopping center pretty decent.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Mustafa's in little India.Its got practically everything.From electronics to clothing.Reasonably priced.A pretty well known place.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Ngee Ann has some top end places, Robinson's Store at top of Orchard is more general mid range shops.

Another vote for Bugis, Ditto everything Michael has said about Bugis, some good bargains at the Japanese place, I don't know why but it just comes over as a nice place to shop, same place is a walk thru mall area with some interesting shops and some stalls down the center with interesting stuff, also upstarirs, small eateries for snacks too, not a tourist packed place at all.
Found some nice bargains.
The original Bugis is opposite and market style as Michael says.
Also it's near the Allson which is a good value place to stay.
Bugis SMRT is right at the mall and very easy to get across to Orchard, very good bookshop at Wheelock centre which is at the junction of Orchard and Scotts.
The SMRT is clean and easy.
You will see the Christmas lights on Orchard and lights elsewhere, have a good time!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:19 PM

I will say the place I 'do not like' is Lucky Plaza, not impressed with the touting shopkeepers which were realy annoying, so never go back there.
Funan center is good for electronics and if you need any computer stuff the staff there are great for information and assistance.

There are malls all over the place, I cannot remember the name but maybe someone else knows, at the SMRT that is where you pick up the bus over to Sentosa, that was real cheap.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:21 PM

Sorry I shopuld have thoughts together at one time.
If along Orchard or along Scotts, to stop for a snack Deli-France outlets on the street do nice sandwiches, iced coffees etc, quite good value if you want to relax between shopping.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 08:54 AM

i like plaza singapura next to the dhobi gaunt mrt.