Singapore Information Needed

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 09:29 PM
Prue

Singapore Information Needed

We are planning on visiting Singapore on the way back to Australia in September next year.
We will have about two days there and as we have been before will mostly just want to relax and do a bit of shopping - am considering the Marina Mandarin Hotel or Westin Stamford. Does anyone have any experience with either of them - good or bad?? Any help will be much appreciated.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 11:52 PM
loonyontheloose

Haven't stayed at either of them but I do visit Singapore often enough. (I'm from Malaysia and my brother works in Singapore). Rest assured your choices of either the Mandarin or Westin won't be wrong. Both are highly reputable hotels and are highly regarded. Both have shopping arcades nearby as well. Both should meet your needs.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 03:15 PM
Michael

I stayed at the Marina Mandarin last November...nice location with the Sun-Tec Mall across the street and the Marina Square Mall which is accessible from within the hotel itself. You have a 10-12 minutes walk to the nearest subway (MRT)at City Hall Station. Your room at The Marina Mandarin can overlook the Marina and beyond that you can see the huge number of ships lying at anchor waiting their turn to enter Singapore Harbor.

The SunTec Mall has enormous number of shops and restaurants. The Hotel itself has a terrific Chinese restaurant, and an Italian restaurant, and one other where you have breakfast, plus drinks in the lobby, or one of the pubs.

A Huge Atrium lobby is spectacular. The rooms were quite large and the bathroom was immense. each room has a balcony and comfortable sitting chairs, and nice big desks. Phones in the bathroom. Separate stall shower and bathtub. And the Chinese restaurant on the 5th floor is just wonderful.

I read the rack rate price in the Frommers Guide and the price in the book was Singapore $320-360. But I called the hotel direct and got an excellent room with breakfast (which is an excellent buffet breakfast) for Singapore $200. There are many many hotels in Singapore and I guess the competition is fierce. Someone else I know through this board recently got an even better price at the Marina mandarin by simply calling and negotiating for a better price.

The Westin Stamford is also a good selection. And is atop of another Mall. But since I stayed at the Marina Mandarin...I can give it a definite positive thumbs up. I even liked their pool which like the lobby is on the 4th floor.

And one more item. The faucet in the room didnt work properly...either too little water pressure, or I couldnt get it to completely turn off. I called the front desk and within 15 minutes I was in a new room.

I liked everything about the hotel. And would stay with them again.

Michael

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 09:00 PM
Prue

Many thanks for your input on the hotels and especially yours Michael on the Marina Mandarin. It sounds just right and I will certainly shop around for a good price.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 04:56 PM
Jayelle

I've stayed a number of times at the Westin Stamford and the adjoining Westin Plaza. I can recommend both hotels. As you probably know, the Westin Stamford and the Marina Mandarin are within easy walking distance of one another, so you'll be in the same area of the city regardless of which you choose.

I like the Westin Stamford both because it is on top of a mall as the previous poster mentioned, and also because it is directly above a metro station, which I found extremely convenient. The rooms are large and comfortable, and all (or almost all) have balconies. You may also know that the Westin Stamford is an extremely tall hotel (I seem to remember reading that it is or was the world's tallest hotel), so try asking for a room on a high floor if you want a great view. Also try asking for a room with a marina view, which is what I preferred.

If you're really interested in shopping, you may also want to consider a hotel in the Orchard Road area. However, I always found it so easy to get to Orchard Road and elsewhere on the metro that I never really worried about staying in the Marina area.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 05:18 AM
Sam

I have been to Singapore often and traveling there again very soon. Have not used Mandarin nor Westin. My favorite is the Singapore Marriott. Right on Orchard Road which is great for shopping. And a tube station is directly across the street from the hotel. Price is about $125, breakfast included.