Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Singapore hotels -- worth splurging for views?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2023, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going in mid Feb, at the tail end of a trip which includes Thailand, for 4 nights.

I've only been there once before, about 6 years ago. It just rained and rained while I was there so kind of a washout.

When it didn't rain, you could feel the humidity -- it was June. I notice you could walk a couple of kilometers just saying indoors, as there were these passage ways between the skyscrapers/shopping malls. Now, in the era of covid, maybe those narrow passageways which are crowded may not be the best choice.

Hotel prices are crazy, but that's not new. Still, I paid just under $1000 for 4 nights, including taxes IIRC, at the Pan Pacific. Was a bargain compared to other places at the time.

Now, after taxes, 4 nights will be closer to $1500.

I was looking for views of Marina Bay. The Sands is way more than I would consider. The Park Royal has this stunning pano over the Bay, with the Esplanade domes lit up. But it apparently wasn't taken from any of the hotel rooms, including their advertised Marina Bay rooms. The hotel has an odd shape, like a triangle, so the rooms face to the W/SW and E/SE than directly south, which would provide great direct views.

So the best I could see would be from the Swissotel Stamford, which is further away from the Bay but has some nice views of the whole Bay and the skyline, including along the Singapore River.

Those rooms, especially higher floors, would run about $400 before taxes and fees. All these places charge 10% property fees in addition to the 8% taxes.

So has anyone splurged for these view rooms in Singapore?

I was more impressed by the scenery than the food halls from the one visit, even with all the rain that limited what to see.

I could get a lower-priced regular room, without the rate premium for view rooms, and just go to the SkyPark deck on Marina Bay Sands as well as the Singapore Flyer. But one thing I hope to do is to take long exposure pictures at night so you can't use tripods at those public venues.
Old Nov 7th, 2023, 12:22 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Funny, in all my visits to Singapore, not once did I think about views.

Not helpful I know, just thought it an interesting question.
Old Nov 7th, 2023, 01:04 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Melnq8
Funny, in all my visits to Singapore, not once did I think about views.
Nor have I. Hong Kong, yes, but not Singapore. But you have a particular purpose in mind with your photos so that might make the splurge worthwhile. I do take lots of photos for my blog posts but on the street, not of the famous sights. My hotel preferences also run to small historic rather highrise so I guess the answer to your question for me is a definite no. But, again, you have a reason I don't.

Old Nov 7th, 2023, 06:12 PM

Going to Singapore for us was not about having a great view from our hotel, but it was about seeing Singapore itself. We did stay at the Pan Pacific marina and I honestly don’t think the view was much of a factor because I just don’t recall it. We were out doing things.

so for me, the answer is it’s not a factor but if you want to do it and if you want to spend money for a view that you find enhancing your vacation then go for it.

now, if we were going to other places, then if a view could be a factor. When we stayed in the Hyatt Regency in Honolulu, we did pay extra for a view of the ocean. We had a balcony and had lots of relaxing times on the balcony just enjoying the view. But of course that’s a completely different situation.

Again it’s up to what you like. If you are going that far and you really want to have a room with a view, then I say splurge and enjoy it.
Old Nov 7th, 2023, 07:02 PM

I've gone to Singapore regularly from the late 1990s to Feb 2020 and I never thought about views, not the type that you're talking about. If there happened to be a view then fine. I've stayed at a lot of different hotels in Singapore while on vacation. But, for me, it's more about service, food, a quiet and smallish hotel, and bed comfort which is why I stay at the Four Seasons on Orchard Blvd, above Orchard Road. I usually end up with a semi view of part of the Orchard Road area which is fine or sometimes I end up with a view of the tennis courts. My last stay there was for two weeks straight at the beginning of 2020 as I came home in February and again I didn't want to leave.

I agree with Mme Perdu about views in Hong Kong as my harbor view room at the Four Seasons there was incredible although Hong Kong didn't grow on me. On that 2016/2017 vacation to Asia, I zipped over to Hong Kong from Singapore to arrive on Lunar New Year 2017. I stayed a few days and then flew back to Singapore for the rest of my days before flying home to L.A. At least it was relaxing in Hong Kong as my vacations are for 6 weeks straight and I was tired by then.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Nov 7th, 2023 at 07:11 PM.
Old Nov 7th, 2023, 08:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
From the mid-1980's thru mid-2000's I spent many months on business trips in the Swissotel Stamford, starting back when it was the brand new Westin. I'd request a high floor (in the 50's) with the harbor view and I always enjoyed it. Ships in the harbor, activity in the river, and on the Padang and Esplanade, city lights at night, Batam Island, Indonesia in the distance.

I know it's changed a lot but here are a couple of 1986 photos from my room.

Last edited by Nelson; Nov 7th, 2023 at 08:55 PM.