Silk filled duvets in BKK??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has purchased duvets in Thailand that are silk-filled? If so, where to buy and approximate cost?
Carol and Bob, who seem to be most frequent visitors to Thailand and a great source of info on a variety of topics, maybe you can help me with this?
They are the latest thing here in Australia and sound like just the thing for our climate. Of course, I can buy them here for around $AUD150-$200 but as I'll be there myself in May I thought it may be a good opportunity to get one at a better price.
Any ideas anyone?
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 03:50 AM

What type of silk are you looking for - Thai or Chinese silk? Also, do you prefer goose or duck feathers?
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 05:14 AM

pook, i think she is asking for ones that are silk stuffed....not feathers??
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 06:42 AM

Thanks for pointing that out Bob. I haven't seen any silk stuff duvet in Bangkok but I haven't look either.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:03 AM

joode
I'll try to keep my eyes open for them, but have not done any shopping yet. We did a quick walk through at Paragon yesterday afternoon, but I've not yet been to all the other shopping places I usually visit. (suffing withdrawal??? lol)
Carol
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Carol - On checking the net I've found that both China and Thailand manufacture them so if you do spot some on one of your shopping trips that would be great.
Re shopping - I'm sure your 'withdrawal symptoms' can be very quickly 'treated' over there!! I'm looking forward to it but will probably have to leave HWHS (short for 'husband who hates shopping') relaxing by the pool or whatever.
I've started putting some summer-type gear into my bag and am really trying hard to keep my packing list down but the temptation to add just 1 more top etc. is very strong! Would love to be one of those people who say that they never have to check their bags but guess they're really disciplined - not me!

Have a great time.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 04:26 AM

Joode,

I've checked and nobody sells them in Thailand. A friend said that if you can buy them for A$150 - 200 then that's a good buy already since they're selling for GBP 2 - 300 in London.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM

If you go to China, it's the IT place to buy them at lower costs. I have seen them on sale in Chinatowns in San Francisco and Oakland for under $75, the prices go up with the weight just like down filled comforters.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:57 PM

found it! Queen size goes for 7,000 Baht.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou Hanuman! That's a great help but as that is around AUD235 I will save myself the trouble of lugging it home and buy one here. Thanks again for taking the time to search for me - much appreciated.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:45 AM

joode
FOUND THEM. The duvets filled with silk can be found at Central Chitlom Department Store. I priced them (in baht and converted to US$). A twin would cost me about $260, and king around $500. Sounds like too high price for you, compared to what you pay at home.

I suppose it is possible that they are in the cheap markets somewhere. You can buy just about ANYTHING, you know. I will look, if at all possible. It might now be until after my Samui trip next week. German friends want to go to Ayutayah, River Kwai, plus the Floating Market, so we might be pretty busy sight seeing for a few more days... (I've not seen these sights so I'm good to go!! I've only been in BKK 13 times, and finally saw the Grand Palace on my 11th trip! I may as well keep on touring, don't you think?

Carol

Carol
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:07 AM

Yep same made as Carol's except these were on sales at the fair.

Funny story, it was my wife who pointed them out to me and she said "why do you want another one?" - apparently we've been using them for a while! Stupid me!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Carol for your info. They are expensive over there aren't they? Well, that confirms it for me so now I've got the inside info (which is great) I can be sure that I'm doing better by buying here. Actually, I also checked on eBay and they're even cheaper coming from Shanghai in China.
I'm intrigued, why 13 visits to Thailand? Were they work-related or all vacations? Whenever I say that I'd like to revisit a particular place or country the answer I get from my husband is that there is too much to see to spare the time to go back!
Also Carol, could I pick your brains re women's clothing? I know there has been lots of recommendations on this site re men's suits etc. but do you have a favourite place to have your items made? I'm wanting to have some slacks and a casual jacket made in winter fabric which I have already. And maybe a couple of blouses.
Hanuman, I'm glad you are now aware of your sleep coverings! Just like a man! I suppose that the things women find interesting or important like the filling in duvets is not on the male agenda!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:53 PM

Hi again joode

I'm wondering whether the silk inside the duvet makes the price difference. Thai silk vs Chinese silk. Anyone have thoughts on which is better quality??? I love the feel. But I might just have to wait and check eBay!!

Thirteen trips to Bangkok and other parts of Thailand... well, I came the first time at DS's suggestion, with him, in summer of 2001 and loved the place. Made my reservations for DH and me for that Christmas holiday as soon as I got home from that trip. DH also loved the place. We all just keep on coming badk! DS does some work here, so he spends quite a bit of time in Bangkok. He started coming over in 1997 (?) and says his total time in BKK is now "over two years" if you add it all up. I've just enjoyed coming over here to join him. Although, over these 7 years of coming over, I've now made two trips on my own. No DS, no DH with me. Just ME. It is pure pleasure, plus revisiting friends I've made (and SHOPPING). If you read my threads, I'm always talking about my dear friend Maeng, plus there is Jack, Lars, Jar, Pong, etc etc!!! It's always nice to see everyone each time.

We're so happy to be showing our friends from Germany (who are here for their very first time right now) around Bangkok and Samui for about 3 weeks. So much fun!!! I think they are hooked, and will be returning again and again. We are trying to convince them to join us this year at the Christmas New Years holiday time for a few weeks.

Re: clothing... DS introduced me to his tailor friend in 2001 and I just keep going back to see Mr Mack if I want something made. There are soooooooo many great tailors in Bangkok. It's up to you. I know that many regulars here like Cotton House for womens tailoring. I've just not made the time to go there and check it out. I've actually not had anything made for several years. I really don't NEED anymore clothes in my closet... haha lol!!

Carol
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi Carol,
What woman really needs more clothes? I probably don't either but the temptation is far too great not to take advantage of having something tailormade! I will check out some places for making up my fabric and keep my fingers crossed. I'm also looking forward to browsing the shops and markets and seeing what takes my eye.
You obviously have a great excuse for visiting BKK every now and then - lucky you!
I shall look forward to reading future posts on your thread. Have fun!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:28 AM
BnS

Hi Joode, where in Australia do you find these silk duvet and how do you tell if it is a good one? I am from Sydney.