Siem Reap Mosquito Question

Jun 6th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Siem Reap Mosquito Question

Our county health dept recommends we check to see if mosquito netting is provided in the hotel (FCC Cambodia) &, if it isn't, bring our own. We will be taking malaria pills + using DEET repellant. I can chk w/FCC to see abt the netting. Just wondered if this is overkill or prudent.
Jun 6th, 2005, 12:26 PM

You do not need mosquito netting if you are staying an an air-conditioned room. (and you keep the windows closed at night!) I'm sure the FCC is air conditioned.

If you were staying someplace that did not have AC, then a mosquito net would be wise.
Jun 6th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie. Your posts have been very helpful to us as we plan this trip.
Jun 6th, 2005, 03:49 PM

You're welcome. Have a wonderful trip!
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:24 PM

I stayed in FCC three months ago, and I don't think you need to bring a mosquito net. However, there were a few mosquito fried into my room when I open the door. This will happen no matter where you stay.
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:26 PM

Sorry. Typo in my last message
Jun 7th, 2005, 09:02 PM

We were in Siem Reap in December and did not see very many mosquitoes. It probably depends on the time of year that you are going, however. If you wear DEET + long sleeves and long pants outdoors at dawn/dusk (when visiting temples for sunrise or sunset) and then keep your A/C on and windows shut in your room you should be fine without netting for your bed.
Jun 8th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Because of the heat, I hadn't thought of long sleeves, but it makes sense. The doctor recommended at least 30% DEET for personal use + a spray for fabrics that has DEET. She said to spray clothing before wearing and let it dry - another level of protection.
Thanks for all the good advice.
Jun 18th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Just FYI, there are several travel clothing companies that now make clothing that is impregnated with anti-insect agents already (this is a lot easier than spraying your own clothing -- we've done this too). Ex-officio has a line called "Bug Off" that you can find in stores or order online. Might be worth investing in a treated long-sleeve shirt and a pair of pants for the mornings/evenings.
Jun 18th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Oops -- the line is called "Buzz Off" not "Bug Off"