Siem Reap - Malaria Prevention- Already traveling

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am in Siem Reap now with my 6 year old on a very last minute boondoogle from Vietnam and didn't realize that there was a malaria risk here. Is there anything that can be taken after the start of travel to prevent malaria. We have been dousing her with bug spray, but after reading posts where everyone seemed to be taking medicine, I am a bit worried. Thanks,
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:49 AM

Keep dousing her and yourself with the bug spray. Try to stay indoors from dusk til dawn - most mosquitoes bite during this time.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:52 AM

No, there is nothing you can start taking after the fact.

All you can do at this point is to do everything you can to prevent bites. Remember that the type of mosquito that carries malaria is most active from dusk until dawn. So make sure she is well-covered in the evenings. Also, you reduce your risk by sleeping in an air conditioned room. If you are staying somewhere without ac, do use bed-nets (treated ones are best).

Watch your daughter carefully. Any unexplained fevers for the next couple of months should be treated as possible malaria and she should be tested immediately if she develops a fever. Usual incubation period for malaria is 14-21 days, but can be longer.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:53 AM

What are you hearing from the people in Siem Reap? Everything I'm hearing is that the ex-pats etc. don't think it is a major issue, unless they are going away from the built up area. I'm not looking to start an argument here, but would be interested in the view from the ground, so to speak.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Dear Sarvowinner,
Haven't checked with the locals yet. Denegue fever is running rife though, so everyone is a bit concerned with that. No drug to prevent it at the moment. We are keeping her covered and trying to use bug spray everywhere, but I know that I got bitten once this evening. Was just hoping that I could find something that would work immediately. Do you know if Malarone or other antimalarials need to be taken weeks in advance?
Thanks,
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM

Malarone needs to be started one day before entering the malarial risk area. It is NOT available in Cambodia (or Thailand or VN). The only place in SE Asia where it is available is in Singapore. Basically, there is no anti-malarial you can start after the fact.

Sarvowinner, malarial prevention is a different issue for those living in the area than for those visiting an area. If you live in a malarial risk are for long periods, you may develop partial immunity from repeated (subclinical ot treated) infections. If you live in a malarial risk area, then move away and come back to visit, you become just as susceptible to malaria as the new visitor. SO ex-pat are not the best resource for telling you about malarial risk. You really want the data on numbers of infections in the population (which is the data on which the cdc and WHO make their recommendations).
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:17 AM

A couple more pieces of information, Annie.

Many adults use doxycycline as an antimalarial. Children should NOT be given doxycycline as it interferes with tooth enamel development.

There is a medication called Malerine (or something close to that) that is available in Cambodia. It is NOT a malarial prevention drug, but is used for treatment.

If another traveler offers you malarone thinking they are helping you out, note that children need a different dose than adults (as well as it being too late to start it).

Don't panic, just be as careful as you can. Make sure she is wearing long sleeves and long pants in the evenings as well as appplying a repellant. Be especially careful to cover her feet and ankles with repellant.

As you said above, dengue is endemic in this area, and the only prevention is preventing mosquito bites. Mosquitos that can carry dengue are of a type that are active during the day.