Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Siem Celadon-Quality Decorative Chess Sets?

Sep 11th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

I have read that the quality at Siem cannot be beat. While the night market may be cheaper the quality is not nearly as good, is that correct? How much should I expect to pay? Do they give up to 20% off the asking price if gently pushed? How much should I expect to pay for one of their better sets? Will they ship and what is the cost of shipping with insurance? Anyone ever got burned? Thanks!
Sep 12th, 2004, 10:11 PM

Where are you Spygirl?
Sep 13th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Spygirl; I had read 3 weeks ago about beautiful high quality chess sets purchased in Chiang Mai. I thought it was at Siem Celadon store.
I could be wrong.
If so where then in Chiang or Bangkok? I am talking high -end set for $100-$150 USD.
Sep 13th, 2004, 05:41 PM

StanKase,
you can contact them at www.siamceladon.com
When are you going? We will be in Chiang Mai in Oct and I will try to visit this place, I am interested in chess set as well, will report.
Sep 13th, 2004, 09:25 PM

Hi Stan, Tangata-I'm back! To answer your questions, Stan, the Night Mkt. is the best place to purchase most items EXCEPT celadon-with that, you need to go out to the stores on SKP road. There are a number of celadon stores there, the largest being Ba'an Celadon, I believe, but Tangata and I both prefer Siam Celadon, chief reason for me being their chess set. The chess pieces are all unique individualized figurines, one side in blue celadon and the other in traditional green-really lovely. They come in a wooden box that opens up to a chess board, but the chess board is not why you buy this set-it's all about the pieces. The box has padding inside and a band to securely hold each piece in place, plus they put bubble wrap around each piece to keep them more secure. You can then carry these chess sets right onto the plane, as the chess box has a handle. The best part is the price-only 2400 baht for the entire set-about $58US! For that price you can purchase several! If you want to purchase the chess pieces separately, you can, for 1500 baht, but I would strongly recommend buying the entire wooden chess box, as it is a really secure way to get the chess set home in one piece, assuming you don't want to ship it.

If you'd like to see a picture of the chess set, send an email to:
[email protected]. I'm sure they'll be happy to assist you. They do all shipping, packing, insurance as well-all you have to do is fork over the money-all credit cards are also accepted. Their prices are fixed, btw, however, as with most purchases in Thailand, if you buy enough, they might offer you a small discount. They also sell lovely celadon dinnerware, earthenware sets, various celadon objects, etc. A number of people I saw purchased dinnerware place settings and had them shipped back.

But as far as silk products, pillowcase covers, hand-painted umbrellas, wooden or bronze objects, (such as buddha heads), t-shirts, printed rayon fisherman's pants, inexpensive skirts, dresses, shoes, and the unique Thai brass and rosewood cutlery, you'll be, well, rather unhappy if you buy out on SKP road, as the prices in the Mkt. are some 60% less, depending on your bargaining skills-which is why I say you should just look at the factory stores for these items, note the cost, and then find and purchase the exact items in the Mkt. - I tell you, you'll be glad you did!

P.S. And everyone going to Chiang Mai should be quite happy with the purchasing power of their tourist dollars there-the best part being that you'll be bringing home some lovely and unique items that will more than make up for all the overweight luggage charges you had to pay to bring them home!
Sep 14th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Spygirl; Thanks for all the complete information.
With your foundation of knowledge can you highly recommend 2 one-day trips out of Chiang Mai (6-9 hour days) for beautiful scenery, local villages-not "dog and pony shows" for tourists and possible native animal spottings?? I have a driver/guide with an A/C car. It would NOT be to visit more temples, museums,though. I will be there in March. Thanks.
Sep 17th, 2004, 07:26 AM

Stan, sorry I just remembered you had asked this question-I responded just now to CFW that I think Doi Inthanon National Park, about 30 mi. south of C. Mai, might fill the bill for you for one day, and for the next, you could have your hotel or any number of companies in C.M. suggest an alternate itinerary for a visit to the hill tribes-but I warn you, the hill tribe visits can get rather touristy- even so, I still feel it is well worth it to put an itinerary together to visit this region, which can easily be done in a day from C.M., your driver might be able to arrange this for you as well.