Search

Sichuan Must See-Chengdu

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sichuan Must See-Chengdu

Hi Everyone,

I will be in Chengdu for 4 days in June and would like to ask for advice on what are the must see places there. I have never been there, but it seems that there is a panda research center outside the city that is popular. I am also considering taking 2 days away from Chengdu to visit Jiu Zhai Gou- is this practical?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Gelato
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:52 PM

Hi, Gelato,
Welcome to Chengdu, firstly.
Chengdu is an amazing city in Sichuan. As you said, you can visit the Giant Panda Reserve near city center,and you can visit some free park, and also you can drink some tea at tea house(the tea house is very famous in Chengdu). As far as Jiuzhai Gou, 2 days is never enough. By airplane, you need 3 days at least, by bus you need 4 days at least. So if you have 2 more day, you can visit the famous Leshan Giant Buddha and Mt. Emei.
So if you need any other information, just contact me. Let me help you.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:03 PM

There is tons to see and do in Chengdu. It really depends what is of interest to you. You could visit temples, ancient projects, panda preserve, etc.

I have a bunch of info from my multiple trips to Chengdu. Here is the link:

http://site.chinafinds.com/blog/?s=Chengdu
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:15 PM

Please look carefully at Jiuzhaigou - we have been and it gets tremendously busy with a lot of time looking at people's backs and pushing and shoving. There are some lovely things to see though and if you are not in a tour group and can get away from the crowds it may be nice.

There is lots to see in Chengdu area - Chengdu itself is interesting with historic poets homes & gardens, and generally interesting streets and parks (we sat one afternoon in the central park, sat outside with tea and seeds (picking at sunflower seeds is very common) as folk on other tables played cards and chatted - good people watching.
Outside Chengdu there is Emeishan and Leshan - both well worth visiting. We also visited Sanxingdui http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanxingdui
this museum is very well laid out & very interesting.
Depending on your interests there is also Dujiangyan Irrigation Project, which is an engineering masterpiece.

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:27 AM

Here is my own question if you forgive the barging in:

Many reports I read speak of the horrid weather and foggyness of the city. I am playing around with using Chengdu as a base for which to begin a China trip, sometime either in November or early 2009. I thought of staying there about 5 days partly to recover from the long flights from east coast US. (It takes me 2 full days to get my bearings) I've read the the city has the largest market in China outside Beijing..what is this like?

I can read about the specific sights, but am more interested to know what the city is like as far as wandering around, exploring older areas, eating, etc. Would it be a decent base? Enough people speak English in restaurants and at hotels to get along?
Menus in English in some non-hotel restaurants?

Anyone planning a visit might want to read the new book by Fuchsia Dunlop who lived in, and loved, Chengdu...

http://www.amazon.com/Sharks-Fin-Sic...956&sr=1-1

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:46 AM

I believe all visitors to Jiuzhaigou has to use the park's own buses, not their own vehicles. So, you still have to ride with the masses - including fighting to get on the buses.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 04:18 AM

tttt
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:47 AM

In June JiuZhaiGou should not be that crowded.... Admitedly, I visited in November -- at that time the place was EMPTY... (it was mid November). Many hotels were closing and there were very few tourists.
Chengdu could be overcast, but it should not be that bad -- definitely better than Beijing. My last trip there was 4 weeks ago, while Beijing is covered in dust / and impact from the desert winds, Chengdu was warm, rainy (way overcast) but still OK.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Yes you have to take a bus to tale you around Juizhaigou. There were long queues - but we were in our own group from UK (everyone Chinese except me) and they gave us a bus just for us - about a 25 seater type - so we didn't have any problems with the bus as such, just walking around the main attractions, the waterfalls etc.

Guenovnd - did you enjoy Jiuzhaigou in November - it must have been nice it it was so much less crowded, but maybe the foliage etc wasn't so good??