Should we visit Kakku?

Search

Should we visit Kakku?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2014, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should we visit Kakku?

We'll be in Inle Lake for three full days and thought we might want to take a detour to see something when we arrive in Heho? Is Kakku worth visiting? I've seen mixed reviews and would like your opinions? The hotel is quoting us $150USD to take us from Heho to Kakku, and then to Inle Lake, so it's on the pricey side. We'll spend our second and third days on the lake, but debated whether we should visit Kakku, the hot springs nearby, or somewhere else.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 05:32 AM

We enjoyed Kakku. We were the only visitor for most of the time we were there. The quiet, all of these stupas out in the midst of fields, the only sound was the tinkling of the bells in the breeze.

We didn't take time away from the Lake, we had a driver (arranged by our Yangon agent) pick us up at the airport and drive us to our hotel via the long detour to Kakku. It sounds like that is what you are planning (but with ab hotel car), but I'm not clear on your schedule. You say you have three full days at Inle, but you are arriving on your first day? In that case, definitely visit Kakku, as when you are on the lake you want to get out on the lake at dawn. If you drove to the lake on your first day, you'd be lucky to be on the lake by noon, when it is starting to get hot and there are lots of people at the various stops. Almost everywhere we vent, we were the only visitors which really enhances the experience.

Do be aware that you need to instruct your boatman as to where you want to go. if you don't you'll visit all of the various "workshops." The people who think Inle is "touristy" did that. If you are interested in a workshop, do go there, but avoid the others (we visited the silk and lotus-weaving workshop as I am interested in textiles, but no others). Do take a full day to visit Sankar, and visit InDien first thing one morning. Avoid the floating market!! Visit the five day market as long as it is not at the floating market.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 06:48 AM

I also recommend Kakku - it is truly magical. It may make sense to do it before you arrive on your first day as Kathie suggests. Her other recommendations are spot on. Note that the five day market moves around from place to place. Your hotel and/or boatman will know the schedule.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Kathie, Craig, Thank you. Our flight arrives from Bagan pretty early in the morning, so it was my intention to have the driver take us to Kakku on our first day there. I've asked the hotel to arrange for a boat man to take us to InDien, then Sankar one day. No floating market!! Just the five day market. I've referred to your reports, Kathie. Now I have to hope that the hotel (yes, we decide on Inle Lake View) to listen to us, and make sure the boat man knows that we don't want to do the touristy loop.