short week in Hokkaido

Search

short week in Hokkaido

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
short week in Hokkaido

I'll be traveling to Hokkaido with 2 teenagers Feb 18-24 and need to spend about 2-3 days in Sapporo. Hoping to spend some time in Otaru and maybe Noboribetsu? Is anyone aware of ryokan or hotels that have family or private baths? What should we include that teens might enjoy? We don't ski but is there an area with a lowkey snow activity area? We won't have a car and not too keen on long bus rides. Thanks for any info!
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:45 PM

this place looked nice - private baths too
http://www.itcj.jp/hdb/101001.html
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I was looking into staying there while in Sapporo but didn't know about the private baths. I'm sure it will be great after being out in the cold.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 03:32 AM

Hi there

don't want to disappoint you - but I don't think the "private bath" here is what you are thinking...I think it is just a ordinary bathroom...as opposed to use of the shared japanese bath! It isn't a special, wooden, traditional bathing area type place...I'll check with them tomorrow...but I think it's just a plastic modern bath unit.

have you looked at Jasmarc Plaza in Sapporo city..I think that has traditional baths..in design...Sapporo is a modern city and doesn't have traditional ryokan like other places in japan.

amanda
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Yes, after more consideration I'm sure you're right. I'm glad there are "facilities" though. Is one able to actually sleep on the sleeper trains? Our flight into Narita won't be there until 4:00PM and the connections to Chitose get us in at 10pm. And then to navigate to Sapporo might be too much.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 08:36 PM

Hi there

navigating in from Chitose airport to sapporo City?

It's very easy - lost of English at the airport, follwo the signs downstiars and get on a train - only one choice of platform. Stay on the train for about 35/40 mins and get off at Sapporo Station. Lots of taxies there to the hotel.

Don't worry - it's very easy to get around here!

amanda

Ps n0 Jasmac doesn't have private onsen in the rooms...if I think of somewhere in sapporo i'll post the info..but this is more the kind of thing at an onsen resort like Toya/ Akan/ Jozankei/ Noboribetsu...than in a city like sapporo