Short trip to Southern India

Feb 2nd, 2019, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Short trip to Southern India

We are once again returning to India - this time to the South.
Although we have travelled to the South a long time ago, - Madras, Madurai, Hydrabad, Perreyer, Allepey, and Cochin we are headed in a slightly different direction this time.
Arriving Delhi 19 February and staying at the Master B & B
21/2 - Rashtrapathi Bhavan - 9.00am Moghul Gardens (no booking required this year)
22/2 - Rashtrapathi Bhavan - 9.30am Circuit 1 (?) - have unsuccessfully tried for three years to book tickets. Website booking only for Indians with local debit/credit cards! Hotel will not book for Rs100 cost of tickets!
23/2 - Rashtrapathi Bhavan -10am Changing of the Guard (no booking required this year)
24 Feb - Fly to Madras - pick up by friend and stay on East Coast Road. May visit Lighthouse and Marina Beach evening market
25-26/2 - Madras - St Thome Basilica, Mylapore Tank and Mandavali - Kapaleeshwarar Temple. High Court, Ratten Bazaar, George Town, Armenian Church, Clive House, Wellesley House, St Mary of the Angels, Parry's Corner St Georges Cathedral and Railway Museum.
27/2 Drive to Pondicherry - Stay at Villa Krish. See Egilse de Sacre Coeur, Immaculate Conception Cathedral, Eglise de Notre Dame de Anges, the Promendade
28-/2 - 1/3 - Walking Tour or visit French Gallery at the Museum, Romain Rolland Library, Manakula Vinayar Temple, Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Sisters of Cluny Embroidery Centre (have purchased from them for years without identifying source), Senteurs-Fleurs en Falcon.
2/3 - Drive to Tranquebar stay at Neerana's Bungalow on the Beach - see Danish Fort, New Jerusalem Church and Governor's Bungalow.
3/3 - Drive to Pondicherry Airport - Spice jet to Bangalore. Stay at Octave Suites. See St Gregorios Orthodox Church and St Mark's Cathedral. Indra Ghandi Musical Fountain in the evening.
4/3 - Cubbon Park - Bangalore Walks, St Mary's Basilica and Vidhana Soudha (evening)
5/3 - Dodda Basvana Nandi Temple, City Market, Tippu Sultan's Palace and Bangalore Fort. If still any energy - an Unhurried evening walking tour.
6/3 - Bangalore walks - Lalbagh
7/3 - Gol Gumbaz Express train to Mysore. Stay at Southern Star Hotel. See Railway museum, Jayalakshmi Vilas, Cathedral of St Joseph and St Philomena, The Lalitha Mahal, Mysore Market and Brindavan Gardens 6.30pm
8/3 - Mysore Palace with Gully Tours guide, Jaganmohan Palace Road, Mysore market (afternoon) and Sandalwood factory + Sound and Light Show at Mysore Palace (?)
9/3 - Kukkanalikere Lake Walk (7.00am) 9.30am Bus or Taxi to Srirangpatnam. See Ranganathswami Temple complex. Jamia Masjid - panoramic view of Gol Gumbaz. Tipu's Summer Palace, Nimishamba Temple, Colonel Bailey's Dungeon, Tipu Sultan's Rocket Launching Place and Garrison Cemetery. Return to Mysore and travel to Hampi via 6.00pm Hampi Express - 1st class sleeper.
10/3 - Arrive Hospet. Taxi to Clarks Inn. See Queens Palace Complex
11/3 Hampi - with guide (?)
12/3 - Kcg Yesvantpur Junction Express 6.30am to Goa.
13/3 - Goa - Panjim - evening river boat tour or earlier dolphin tour.
14/3 - Panjim
15/3 - Fly to Delhi
15 - 21/3 - Delhi (Accommodation still to be booked).
21/3 - return to Melbourne.

Feb 3rd, 2019, 03:32 AM

Hey I'm a newbie here. Looks like you have lots of plan. India is a great country. There are lots of gorgeous places to see no doubt. Anyways, Welcome to Asia brother.
Feb 4th, 2019, 05:13 AM

Applause Applause. Are you asking any questions?
Feb 4th, 2019, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by jobin View Post
Applause Applause. Are you asking any questions?
Nope brother, not at all. I just want to say the beauty of India.
Feb 13th, 2019, 12:34 AM
Original Poster

I'll turning this into a trip report starting 24 Februry, However, I am always happy to hear from posters who have been to the named places and who have some wonderful tips.
Feb 14th, 2019, 08:34 AM

You are the most welcome buddy. Wish you a safe return.
Feb 17th, 2019, 04:35 AM

I just spotted this and am joining in in the hope of picking up some tips for the trip that I have yet to take. I'm sure that other fodorites are fed up with my vacillating by now so it'll be nice to have to new victim person upon whom to inflict my questions.

Most interesting itinerary, BTW - how did you come up with it?
Feb 19th, 2019, 03:15 AM

Dont' forget to add Mennakshi Devi temple, Munnar, and Madikeri , though you duration of this trip is too short to complete all the places but i am sure once your visit south India soon you will plan again the trip to south India