Shore Excursion from Probolinggo, Java

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are sailing Silverseas in October. We have arranged a 2 day tour of Borobudor, Yogyakarta and Prambanan out of Semarang. The next port is Probllinggo and we have two choices- Mt. Bromo vs. Lawang Temple & Wonosuri Tea Plantation. Not sure we are interested in 5 hours of Volcano and the Tea Plantation might be a yawner. Anyone been there-done that with an opinion? I am wondering if we could snag a driver at the port and make our way to Lawang to see more local color. I hear there are Orangutan and wonder if there is a sanctuary or something of that nature. Any suggestions for this port/stop? Thanks, Kingster
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 04:48 PM

Orangutans are only found in the wild on Borneo and Sumatra. So there would not be a sanctuary on Java. There may be a "wildlife park" ie, zoo, with some, though I understand that is discouraged.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 05:03 PM

Lawang is a fairly common place name in Indonesia. The one with the Orangutans is in Sumatra.

I think Bromo is an extraordinary destination for natural beauty and photography, but if mountains and volcanos are not your thing then you might want to consider the area around Malang. In addition to tea plantations there are many archeological sites. Plus it's a pleasant town.

Another idea are the Ijen sulphur mines.

For your Central Java planning, you should be aware that Borobudur and Yogyakarta are a good three hours' drive from Semarang.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Hi kingster,
Borobudur and Prambanan are incredible sites. You won't be disappointed!
As for East Java, Mt. Bromo is okay. You walk up 200 steps and look down into the crater. It is a calm volcano -- smoking, but no lava. The real highlight is Mt. Semeru, but that is an overnight hike.
Wonosari is absolutely beautiful, but if you're not staying there, I would agree, it could be a bit of a 'yawner'.
We really enjoyed the hike to Ijen Crater Lake, which is one of the most beautiful sites in Java. It is an easy one hour uphill walk to the crater. Bring a bandana (wet), which will help you deal with the sulfur gases.
Don't know anything about orangutans in the wild in Java.
Have a great trip!
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great insight. I will research Malang and see how far Ijen Crater would be from the port and how much time we have that day. I have not ruled out either of the planned excursions. Those always turn out fine. We are flexible and make the best of any opportunity to see something different with other people. All good, but just want to make the best of our time in these far away places.

Thanks for the head's up on the distance re: Semarang-Borobudor. The excursion is overnight. I'm really excited. (My birthday is one of those days.)

So, the orangutans were a red hearing from another post,... and I thought I had really stumbled onto something. Next trip! I do have another puzzle on my list for Bali (Benoa port), so, look for another post from me later if you all are around. Very best, Kingster
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 06:08 AM

I more often than not research my own guides when on cruises. I find I see the "real deal" of the area, I get a true understanding of what and why and I avoid the crowds. In Central Java to see the temples, see remote native villages practicing ways like 1920's, and if interested in buying batik cloth or clothing that the well to-do local buy at very resonable prices we found a guide we used in March 2010. We are returning to Java next month and are using him again. He charges $80 for a 10 hour day (the US dollar has lost 15% in the last 18 months so we will pay a bit more this trip) and has a comfortable van with very efficient A/C. His English is fluent. His fee does not include the admissions to the temples. But he is so knowledgeable he explained the reliefs on Boboburur Temple so we understood the story pretty well.
If interested contact him at bobobururtourandtravel.com or his personal email [email protected]
You will not be sorry.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Stan: I appreciate the referal. Did you use this same guide in East Java? K
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 05:20 PM

I am using him this Sept. We are starting in Yogya because there is one of Indonesia's most famous artists there that we purchased paintings from at 1/2 the price charged at the Aman resort where he is the artist in residence. then we are going to East Java to see the sunrise at Mt. Bromo. Because we are so much into meeting locals he has hired a driver and car and we will be making periodic stops at small villages he knows, huis wife is from Melang in East Java, and we stay over night in a 7 room house in a valley he has rented about half way to Bromo. then we do the last 3-4 hours to a hotel, the Java banana about 15 minutes from Mt. Bromo and tour the area. The next morning we are up at 3:30-4 AM for the sunrise and further exploration of the area around East Java and then he is leaving us off at Surbaya Airport for our flight to Sulawisi where we will be for 10 days at Wakatobi Dive Resort. I hope that helps.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Stan: I have taken your advise and emailed Putu. We have two stops in Bali, and it looks like the ship is only relocating between Benoa and Tanah Ampo. I'm thinking we could leave the ship, skip an evening onboard and catch up that next day. It would give us a lot more time to see what we want if the guide thinks we can manage it logisticaly. I will see what he says. Thanks so much for the suggestion. We will see what shakes loose. Best, K

PS, Your Mt. Bromo followed by the dive trip sounds awesome. Great planning on your part! Love to see the type of art you mentioned. K
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 07:32 PM

kingster, upon reflection, I think you should do the Bromo trip. Bromo is a specific mountain (with a large volcanic caldera or crater) but it is also the name for the general area which comprises several volcanic peaks in various stages of eruption. It's the grouping that makes for incredible vistas.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Agreed. Thanks. K