Shopping in Shanghai

Search

Shopping in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping in Shanghai

We have a day before our tour begins---what are the best markets for cashmere and other goods? (not interested in antiques) I have heard of Dongtailu market? Any others???
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM

The Xiang Yang market is one of the best, especially for knock-offs and fake DVD's.
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:02 PM

Dong Tai Lu is more about antique reproductions....furniture and decorative items. They will tell you everything there is 80-100 years old, which of course it is not. But still there are some attractive things to be had if you bargain ferociously. I bought a nifty little Tibetan drum for $10US and a very large celadon platter with a dragon pattern....I think it was about $US50, and it included the nice wood plate stand.
Xian Yang is best for all the knock-offs. The pashminas on display are often the really cheap ones. Ask for the "best quality" and they may have "under the table" stock that is much nicer.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:56 AM

Not sure when you're coming but be aware that Xiang Yang is closing soon. I've heard May or June. I don't know where vendors are moving to but if it's closed when you arrive your hotel can certainly tell you where to go. There are also fakes available around YuYuan area and the prices are comparable. You do get what you pay for usually though. I find Yu Yuan to be a more interesting shopping experience because there's a lot of variety be it handicrafts, silk products, "antiques", etc. Fakes can be found easily by a foreign face - hey lady! watch, bag, dvd?

Suggest you go to shanghaiexpat.com and do a search on fake market prices or something like that. There are a couple of lists of what prices you should pay. I usually start around 20% of the first offer and end maybe around 30% but it depends. Note that I've found Shanghai to be more expensive than Beijing.

For cashmere you can go to the Fabric Market. It moved recently to #399 LuJiaBang road. You can negotiate to get things done quickly but I usually give them a few days.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:39 PM

4 of us are thinking of visiting Shanghai from 8 October for 5 days.

We thought we should be quite safe in avoiding the peak crowds from 1 October to 7 October, being China's National Day on 1 October which will last for 7 days.

Are we right in our assumptions? We heard of the chaotic crowd during National Day week long celebration and it's scary....

Can anyone help to clarify our doubts?