Shoes and socks

Search

Shoes and socks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoes and socks

Okay, upfront I know that this is possibly a dumb question, but... what types of good walking shoes do people wear, especially in the summer, in Japan? Typically I wear sneakers or sandals but the problem with sneakers is that they don't slip on and off easily (which I gather is important?) and I never wear socks with sandals (and I gather wearing socks is also important?). What do the women in Japan usually wear on their feet? What do the female tourists usually wear on their feet? My boys will wear their sneakers since they never untie them anyway... Are Merrell-type shoes the way to go? Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:50 PM
emd

My son wore Merrill's. They don't fit me. I wore black Reeboks w/good hiking socks during the day, as I couldn't find anything as comfortable or w/as much support. We did not go into temples continuously, so it was fine having tied shoes.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:54 PM
emd

I think what is more important than having ones that slip off easily is having support, because you are going to do alot of walking btwn. places and using public transportation. The few days I tried to go w/regular thinner socks, I got a blister. So back to the all-weather short hiking socks- but of course I only brought two pairs of those so I ended up handwashing them alot. Did you know that if you turn on the hair dryer on low and put it in the sock, you can dry those socks pretty fast.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks emd! I guess I was also worrying about looking somewhat stylish, but I always wear sneakers anyways, with good padded socks, so I guess that's what I'll do in Japan too!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:13 AM

You might check out Solomon walking and running shoes. They have a quick tie that is great for going in and out of temples and have one shoe that has lots of ventilation so is cool. You can check them out at backcountry.com
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:46 AM

I don't know where you live, but search out a Clark's shoestore.If you happen to live in L.A., the store is in the mall on Riverside Drive, in the Valley, Sherman Oaks. Their stores are usually located in malls. They have all styles of comfortable shoes that you can slip on and off without any problems.I was just there two days ago. Happy Travels!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:01 AM
emd

Guenmai, I have some business in LA and the valley coming up soon, and am familiar from prior work w/that area of S. Oaks and the hospital and high profile courthouse there, so I think I will check out that shoe place. Always in the market for comfortable travel shoes. Thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:08 AM

I discovered Merrell shoes when I cracked a bone in my left arm at the wrist about 10 days before going on my first trip to Japan. The loop in the back made it easy to put them both on with one hand. They are very comfortable and perfect for visiting temples, castles, the several gassho zukuri in Shirakawago, etc. Only problem is that I find them to be very slippery on smooth surfaces (though the tread suggests otherwise).

emd, have you been to the Little Tokyo section that is (I think) in downtown L.A.? I believe that the New Otani is in that neighborhood.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:43 AM

Have never checked that out, but thanks for the tip. Work is downtown; stay in Santa Monica or Pasadena but have a car and get around alot. Shoes and things Japanese would fit nicely in there too, so thank you both.