Shipping from USA to Cambodia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping someone on this board knows anything about shipping some things in a container.

I need to ship my earthly belongings to Cambodia from Texas. I can't imagine what this is going to take but I'm ready to tackle it.

Does anyone have any idea about costs? Someone to contact? I don't know where to start. I've done some googling and getting frustrated. (Doesn't take much these days)

Lori
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:38 PM

I have moved internationally 5 times, it is not really hard to do. It's some paperwork, but basically that is it. All the palaver about clearing customs, etc is taken care of by the movers. You have to itemize what you own and how much it is worth, and that is about it. I would contact the three companies below, all are reputable, are based in Asia so have years of experience here, and if they don't have operations in Cambodia can hopefully give you a link to a Cambodian mover. You need someone to come and take a look at your stuff and give you a quote for shipment based on the size of your shipment. (I assume you have more than a few boxes and some clothes, i.e. you are moving furniture).

KC Dat: http://www.kcdat.com.sg/singapore/index.htm. They have moved me twice, I can't say enough good things about this outfit, the Rolls Royce of movers (of course on the US end you will get whoever their local agent is, but I would assume they will use someone reputable.)

Santa Fe Relocations: http://www.santaferelo.com/ecs/index.jsp

Four Winds: http://www.agsfourwinds.com/e-default.php

You might also contact US-based companies like Allied Movers at allied.com. They do international moves, they hook up with an overseas agent (like KC Dat or Santa Fe).

You might also look in the yellow pages in the US about freigh forwarders, however for receiving goods into Cambodia, you really need to work with someone who knows the country and knows what they are doing. That is why you may be better off with one of the above.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Cicerone for this very good information. I am on the case.

Lori
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Lori, it sounds like you are making a life transition to living in Cambodia. Congratualtions! I can't wait to hear all about it.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 06:10 PM

We used Allied to move to Japan 12 years ago...flawless door to door service. It's not the cheapest, but it was certainly easy and worry free.

When you say earthly belongings, do you mean bunch of small items like clothes, books, items of personal importance...or do you mean furniture too? If you won't be moving large items, it can be just as easy, and cheaper, to pack boxes and FEDEX or UPS them.

Old Dec 8th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

I don't think I will be sending any furniture. Sale of these items could keep me in rice for years on end...

But after 25 years of traveling the globe I've got some possessions that I just can't replace, can't let go of.

But still, I think it owuld be about 25 decent sized boxes. After sending some things here via UPS already it seems like there must be a cheaper way.

I'm still looking into it. Maybe the best option would be to pay each of you $25 to bring a box when you come!
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Just read your other post about how you got started in cambodia and now I see you are jumping in all the way. Good luck with the transition - looking forward to hearing more about the bigger plan.

We feel very fortunate to have met you on our recent trip ( and although I was feeling sub par that day) it was the best part of our trip to Cambodia. We are talking about how we can involve Canada - more later after we do some investigating. Blessings Sandy and georges
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi Georges and Sandy!

Were your ears burning 2 days ago?

Remember those pens from Canada you gave me? I passed 7 of them out to the rural teachers who are in my English class, one of which is Vis, the young teacher you talked to at the picnic table that day. I asked him...do you remember Georges and Sandy from Canada? He replied "yes teacher, George is a woodturner. He turns trees to bowls." Then a very big smile.