Shanghai World Expo travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are Expo fans (New Orleans, Vancouver, Seville) and want to go to the Shanghai Expo at the end of May-first of June. We are cramped by school schedules into this time frame. Very frustrated by trying to play family travel agent--Some questions maybe someone could help me with:

1. Airlineconsolidator.com Good idea?

2. Cheaper to book flight between Shanghai and Beijing on the ground? Do they play the same weird fare games there as here? One-waying it to Shanghai and then back home from Beijing added $500 via Airlineconsolidator prices. Is there a better option?

3.I have found several options of hotel/apartment accommodations--however any recommendations would be appreciated. We are a family of 5.

4.Please don't kill this thread with geopolitical comments. Frankly we tried isolation for Cuba and I think American tourists would have done more good than harm for the people there. In any case, separating the people and the government is important and I have liked the Chinese people I have met.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:57 AM

> 2. Cheaper to book flight between Shanghai and Beijing on the ground?

Yes. Often vastly cheaper. Sites such as the one you mention are not even aware of most Chinese domestic flights.

> Do they play the same weird fare games there as here?

No, they play different 'weird games'. Most ticket buying is done at the last moment, real fares are not typically available until three weeks or so before the flight, and discounts may often be had even on the day of flying, depending on how full the flight is. Booking and paying (usually in cash) from an agent at the point of departure will usually produce the best result. For those who simply MUST have everything booked before departure there are Chinese-run on-line sites such as Ctrip and eLong offering prices often close to what can be found on the ground, but there can be various problems with these, and still real prices will not be available until two or three weeks in advance.

Using the search box above will find you threads with much detailed discussion of all this.

Peter N-H
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:11 AM

Do you have your Expo tickets already? If not, suggest you check online and purchase them first.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:15 AM

In my experience, you'll get better airline prices by going directly to the airlines own website. You can book an openjaw ticket (fly into one city and out of another) for very close to the same price as a regular roundtrip.

Consolidator tickets have a number of inherent problems which may or may not both you: no pre-assigned seats, no freuqnt flier miles, no changes of any kind or you lose the whole ticket.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 01:12 PM

Buying tickets directly from Chinese airline website can be tricky as English is usually lacking and the ones that do offer better prices tend to separate website booking as separate company and thus you cannot get service at local airline rep counters. I had this problem recently with ticket for Chinese Eastern. Had to email web support for airline site and wait for their reply. I've been answering questions for friends planning to visit and travel in China and put some tips together on a website. See http://www.worldexpohotels.com. If you read through the pages then you will find some helpful tips for your visit. I've been living in Shanghai for 6 years now. City is awesome. Good luck, Alabama Dave in Shanghai, www.worldexpohotels.com
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM

We'll see you there Randomwalkers! I'm a little bit miffed you didn't get to Brisbane Expo...

Anyhow, we've bought our tickets - not sure whether you've considered that but we figured for peace of mind it was better.

We are a family of 4 and we are staying with Fraser Residence, which we booked through expedia. We found a cheaper rate on zuji then used expedia's price match guarantee to book through expedia (and get some free credit toward another hotel!)
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 09:58 PM

Do let us know your Expo experience - and just how much random walking you did! I've read bus, train and maybe ferry transport to Expo will be included with the ticket. Have fun!

I liked your site, Alabama Dave - thank you.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 12:17 AM

My friends and I are also planning to visit the Shanghai Expo. We are going there on July and we already have plane tickets (Manila-Shanghai-Manila). I think I might be able to pick out some tips through this thread as well.

While in China, we also plan to do a side trip to Beijing and Xian. To save on budget, we are thinking of taking the overnight trains (hard sleeper) to get from one city to another.

Our concern are the accommodations. We hope to get an affordable (like $40-45 per room per night) hotel/inn that is clean, safe, and accessible. Also, would we need a tour guide to get around these cities or can we just rely on guidebooks and maps?
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 01:46 AM

3.I have found several options of hotel/apartment accommodations--however any recommendations would be appreciated. We are a family of 5.

--> You can found some useful customer's reviews about hotels on tripadvisor.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:09 PM

According to info on the Expo site, it seems that once you get inside, you then can reserve up to six expo sites to see - they suggest of course, to include the Chinese one, as it's expected to be the most popular. Will be interesting to see how this works - timed Disneyland type tickets, perhaps?

No water or any drinks will be allowed to be taken inside!

Claire - there's lots of info here on Fodors about getting round Beijing and Shanghai - search PeterN_H, for really good advice. We are certainly going it alone.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM

To OP - New Harbour Serviced Apt. and Citadines Jinqiao apt. hotel have good reviews on Tripadvisor.
To eveyone - do you think it's critical to purchase Expo tickets now instead of waiting to get to Shanghai? I'm going in mid-June (not "peak" days) and not sure if I will be able to go for 1 or 2 days so thought I would wait.
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

We are staying in one of the many Holiday Inn Expresses in Shanghai. The Holiday Inn site told you how far each hotel was from the nearest sub line and which line it was. We are traveling with 4 teenagers and having breakfast provided will make things go smoother. Plus my youngest hates smoke and a western hotel chain seemed a more likely shot at a smoke free room. The room configuration only allowed two people per room so a group of five would need three rooms. If it was just my husband and me, we would have chosen something more exotic--but with the kids I think this will be easier.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Hey, the Randomwalkers are back from Shanghai Expo. We had a fabulous time. We had no problems buying our tickets there. We opted for day passes as they don't sell the three day pass on site and our group was anxious that first day to dive right in and get started. We had thought to have the four teenagers bring student ID's which saved quite a bit on the entrance fee.
Other helpful logistics notes:
Subway is fast, clean, & convenient.
Our Sprint phones worked with NO modifications. It did cost $2.50 a minute but if you were lost it would be worth it. We only had to use it once, but were happy to pay at that point.
Drink stands were plentiful and cheap at the Expo (Coke Zero under a dollar, water and some yummy lemon drink were under 50 cents)
Snacks, however, were hard to come by and I would take plenty of bars, nuts etc. from home with you.
No liquids carried in included sunblock but they let me take mine in when they saw how red my son was.
The buy-in-advance non-refundable room rates I had at the Holiday Inn Expresses in both Shanghai and Beijing seem from rates on the ground to have been great bargains. Plus, the breakfast was well prepared and plentiful at both. Even if it was a bit odd by our breakfast habits. Steamed veggies and rice, noodles, salad bar in addition to some cereal and some toast. We arrived at the Expo full every day.
We went in three full days and one evening admission and yes we wish we had had more time. We were having so much fun.
How much randomwalking? My 19 says it was as if there were stakes being driven through her feet and this is a kid who's closed down a Disney Park. Wear two pair of socks, take band-aids in with you for blisters, and make sure those shoes are the best walking shoes you can find.
Many Chinese tourists asked to take photos with my two sons as they are tall. My sons got quite a kick out of this. It took us a little while the first day to realize the attention we were drawing. We did seem to be the only western family group there, so were a novelty I suppose.
If there is anything else you are questioning in your planning let me know and I'll see if I can help out.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:07 AM

Thanks for the advice, Randomwalker. We'll be in Beijing for this weekend, then Germany for a few weeks, and won't get back to Shanghai till on our way home at the end of July. I won't be doing much Fodoring whilst we're away (old fashioned - no computer or even mobile phone when on holiday) Glad to know we'll be able to buy a ticket for an extra day if we want. We have two day tickets, didn't get the three days pass as we have only four days altogether, and want to experience Shanghai a bit too - thought maybe another night though.

For Expo, I'm going to take a spare pair of sandals to change shoes, I think!

Which Pavilions did you especially like? Both DH and I agree that we'd rather walk around and look from the outside, and enjoy the ambiance, than wait hours in the heat for any one pavillion, but maybe it would be worth a wait here and there.
Did the "booking pavillion once you get there system" work for you?

We've booked a river view room overlooking Pudong - looks magic. Can hardly wait.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 01:24 PM

Carrabella: What hotel is the river view room at?
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 01:43 AM

It's "Seagull on the Bund" , just across the creek at the northern end of the Bund, almost opposite the Pearl Tower, by the look of the photos. Will write a report in August. Apparently, it is used mostly by Chinese and Korean business men.
Last sleep tonight!
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

We spent the first day in 'Asia.' There we thought India, Nepal and Vietnam were interesting. Plus India had good quick food reasonably priced.
The 'Europe' section the second day was frustrating as the pavilions are simultaneously huge and apparently low capacity. The lines in this section were too long to even consider during midday. After 5ish the lines decrease some and we got into Spain which may have been our favorite pavilion at the Expo. Well done, good capacity and the surprise ending was worth the wait in line. I won't tell you what it was but my daughter spent a half an hour taking pictures of people's reactions. Good job, Spain. In the America's section on the third day, food and beer were easier to find which by day three we were in need of a beer now and then. We thought the US pavilion was fine..and it had seats. We had lunch in the Argentina restaurant and it was superior. Once again, as in the Asian section, lines were 20-30 minutes for most pavilions so very manageable.
New Zealand had a well-received pavilion and live dancers which was fun.
If midday sun is getting to you and the lines are long--head to one of the joint pavilions and tour the smaller countries.
We wish we had had at least two more days to spend at the Expo. We spent one day touring Shanghai. The temple in Yu Gardens was a photographer's delight. We also went to the Shanghai art museum which was very well done. It had furniture, coins, costumes, pottery etc. Our group spent 2 hours there which was about right for us.