Shanghai Sofitel JJ Pudong

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't planning to stay here, but was able to get an unbelievable deal through Priceline for this 5 star hotel ($65 plus tax, = about $80/night) for later this month (vs. a list price of over $200/night).

The only problem is that I've read that this is a little out of the way. Has anyone been here and can advise on location, transportation, etc?

What should it cost to get a cab here?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 10:16 AM

I haven't stayed there but it's right on the river in Pudong facing Puxi and that is a great price! See if you can get a Bund facing view. I kind of have my doubts as you're paying a Priceline rate but it doesn't hurt to inquire. Taxi's are readily available and very inexpensive by western standards but traffic can be bad. You might consider the metro. Lujiazui station is not a far walk from the hotel and will get you to the pedestrian section of Nanjing road in one stop or People's Square in two stops. Have a fabulous time!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Patty, thanks much. Can you get the metro from the airport? And is it worth the saving for 4 people? I assume that 4 can fit in a chinese taxi cab, right?
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Which airport will you be flying into, Hongqiao (most likely if you're arriving from a domestic flight within China) or Pudong (generally if you are arriving from an international flight, but some domestic flights do arrive here as well). If Hongqiao, then no, there isn't a metro station here. If Pudong, technically yes, but you'll first board the maglev train and take it to Long Yang station where you pick up the metro. It's a hassle with luggage and will cost you more overall than just taking a taxi for 4 people. You can read my maglev report here for more details:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34516814

I believe it's the only maglev train in operation in the world.

There are larger, minivan type vehicles at the taxi stands outside of either airport that will be able to fit 4 with luggage.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 12:11 PM

sitara,
I just realized I made a big goof! I confused your hotel with the Shangri-La Pudong. Please disregard my first post. I'm trying to picture exactly where the Sofitel JJ is on Yang Gao Nan Rd but can't remember if it's close toward Century Ave or not. I'll try to find out. In any case, it's definitely not along the river and would be farther east from what I described earlier. SO SORRY! I don't know how to explain what happened other than I had a complete mental lapse earlier.

BTW, it's best to have the name and address of your hotel written down in Chinese for the taxi driver.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 12:26 PM

On the Sofitel website, it says that the hotel is 1km from the science and technology museum, so that would probably put it closest to Yang Gao Nan Rd metro station. To put that in perspective, the station is along the same line (#2) as Lujiazui but instead of 1 or 2 stops, it's 4 or 5 stops respectively to Nanjing Rd and People's Square heading west. Going toward Pudong airport heading east, it's 2 stops to Long Yang station where you can pick up the maglev. Again sorry for the incorrect location info earlier!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 04:07 PM

The Pudong is a little out of the way. It's accross the river and from my experience (3years ago) it was mostly high-rise office buildings with the exception of other high-rise hotels...not very interesting. We went there to my friend's US office during the week and there weren't that many people on the street, everyone mostly in cars.

Have you tried the Sofitel Shanghai Hyland? It's located at 505 Nanjing Road East, a real busy pedestrian only street full of shops and restaurants...very lively and easy access to everything in Shanghai. Also close to the Bund and other Shanghai areas of interest. I got great deal calling Sofitel directly.

If you've never been to Shanghai or China before you will find a fascinating country with wonderful people. Have a great time!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 04:51 PM

I made serveral reservation through an online travel company. They provide lots of Chinese hotels. I found the hotel you mentioned at their site, with some introduction and pictures. Maybe it will help.
http://www.elong.net/hotel/showhotel...el_id=50201012

By the way, I tried their English customer service email [email protected]. They answer very quickly and even you can ask them to recommend some hotels.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 07:37 AM

For anyone wanting to explore Shanghai's top sights - this place is in the middle of nowhere even for Pudong's Downtown, never mind Puxi.

You couldn't just step out the front door and randomly stumble upon restaurants, shops, etc. It's residential apt. buildings all around. The food in this hotel is barely serviceable and it gets to be a pain to hop in a cab all the time.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 08:22 AM

Gee, downer, what inspired you to bring up a 5 year old thread to complain about this hotel?