Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shanghai Hotel Question

Please provide any feedback concering this hotel:

http://www.chinamansionhotel.com/

Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 10:15 AM

Superb location in the heart of the french concession, former clubhouse of the shanghai mafia don. Not sure if there is enough bamboo in the garden for pandas midnight snack.

Have you checked tripadvisor?
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:44 AM

You might want to check out Ruijin Hotel and Pudi Hotel, both in the former french concession.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

We are probably going to book something in the French Concession. However, we have Starwood points and I wonder what people think of the Royal Meridien on Nanjing Road. Thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM

ekscrunchy stayed there and was very pleased so it has to be a grand luxurious place!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 06:27 PM

animals must be caged
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM

I also stayed at the LRM on the club floor which had fantastic views and great drink/food selctions and wonderful views-used points too. I liked the location since the pedestrian area was lively and very central.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM

as I said in previous post: I stayed there and the location is great, ambiance great, room with balcony great BUT IT IS NOT WORTH AS THE SERVICE is awful, breakfast awful, and way too expensive. you can visit the place and have a aperitivo on the terrace. if you look for boutique hotels in Shanghai there's a JIA hotel, with very good italian restaurant, and URBN, also nice.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Gpanda...I finally finished my trip report on Shanghai and posted it. The Royal Meridian is a great deal, great location and all around good choice. I have not seen it personally but your chinamansionhotel online photos look great. It is in a great location in a convenient part of the French Concession. You might find this area quite pleasant since it is a more residential area however the location of the hotel also seems to be pretty close to the elevated freeway so you may want to check out the exact details with the hotel.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 07:43 AM

We've been looking at this one ( http://www.gran-melia-shanghai.com/en/ ). Just can't figure out whether it's open yet or not. Anyone been or know about this?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Looks great - I am interested too. After typing in reservation request for June it became obvious that automated internet booking service is not functioning so I have emailed reservations. Will let you know what I hear back.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Hotel opens in September and looks great. So where should we go in June for three nights ? I thought we should go the Bund side at first but am now inclined to the view that looking back to the Bund from Pudong is a better idea. What is the best value for money hotel on the Pudong side without paying top dollar?
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM

The view might be better but Pudong is much less convenient.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM

I guess we enjoy walking long distances so it doesnt worry us too much to walk back across to the Bund and French Concession from Pudong. In walking long distances we dont spend much time in a hotel room in any case.

We are looking to find the best quality hotel with king size beds and views if possible for 3 nights in early June. Budget is up to USD200 per night. I see hotels like Crown Plaza Fudan rated #4 on tripadvisor with those features and even less expensive. Therefore maybe I dont need to pay the premium to stay in the Pudong business district unless we had to pay the premium to stay somewhere like the Shangri-La. I must say that it is very easy to get confused given the selection and locations. Maybe Shanghainese has a good recommendation for us.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 03:53 PM

SydneySteve -- Walking back and forth daily across the river gets tiresome and there are not many sites worth visiting in Pudong.

I suggest staying in Puxi, Le Royal Meridien is a Fodorites' fav, Radission New World is a runner-up, Portman Ritz has kept up its leading status and JW Marriott is another one to check out.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 05:40 AM

Thank you Shanghainese. I will take your advice on the Meridien and try to figure out how to get the best rate for the best King bedded room configuration. Oh, there are so many options to lock in or not lock in on the Starwood website. I think I might email the hotel. This is the first stop in a long itinerary so need to get it right. Thanks again.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

SS-we booked at the Meridien using Starwood points. Very cheap.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Havent got any Starwood points so I presume best way to book is to email Shanghai Le Meridien hotel direct and ask for best prices on King room options for view facing the Bund ? Thanks again..
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:57 PM

Being a Starwood 'guest', you may automatically get the Starwood wing (I always do) - which is Bund-facing and looks straight down Nanjing Rd. Love it.

I've stayed at the LRM 3 out of my 5 trips to Shanghai. I love the ambiance - almost soothing but still energizing when I come home after a hard day of work.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Generally, they do put you in a starwood section. facing the Bund works for me. Looking forward to our stay there. How is the pool?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -