Shanghai hotel

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Chuck

Shanghai hotel

Going to be in Shanghai for a few days in March. Any recommendaions for reasonably priced hotels (less than $100 preferably) would be appreciated. There will be 3 of us, so we'll need a room big enough to accommodate 3 adults. Two twins and a rollaway would be fine. Even two beds and a fold-out couch. Really not too fussy. Would like to find a hotel well-located so as to make the most of our 2 days there. Also, any suggestions for best sites to see would be much appreciated.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Patty

Site suggestions - Shanghai Museum, Yu Yuan gardens and the surrounding bazaar area, the Bund and the Nanjing road pedestrian area, if you have time, cross the Huangpu river over to the Pudong side and ride to up to the top of the Pearl tower or Jin Mao tower for a spectacular view on a clear day.

I'm not that familiar with the hotels near the tourist areas. I know the Sofitel Hyland has a great location right in the pedestrian section of Nanjing road but I don't believe their small rooms would hold three. Have you checked the rates at the Jin Jiang or Hilton? These are both well located.

We usually stay on the Pudong side so I'm much more familiar with the hotels there but it's not an area that would be considered well located for sightseeing. However, you can find lots of nice new hotels here that are under $100. Even the St Regis is only $125 a night.

One thing that is nice about Shanghai is they have a very convenient subway system. It's much quicker than taking a taxi and costs between 2-4 yuan per trip. So even if you are a little farther out, you can still get around pretty easily as long as you're near a subway station.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 08:47 AM
art

Look up on the internet,the YMCA in Shanghia. I haven't stayed there, but the prices look good and it is in a great location. And you can get reservations over the web page.
Good luck!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Les

We stayed at the Salisbury YMCA. It's a great location (as Art said), and the rooms are nice, with all the amenities of a hotel. However, I don't know if you can do it for less than $100, as you asked. We (2 of us) got a room with king size bed, on the top (16th) floor, with a harbor view, for $175 per night, including breakfast (a very nice breakfast). I'm sure that you could do somewhat better if you didn't include breakfast, but I wouldn't suggest a room without a harbor view, or on some of the lower floors, as the view is what transforms an ordinary room into a magnificent one. Also, unless you tend to skip breakfast, I don't know that you could do much better finding breakfast on your own (not to mention the time wasted leaving the hotel and looking elsewhere to eat).
As for places to see, the Concierge desk at the Y is as well equipped to help as I've seen in any of the more expensive hotels. They have pre-printed instructions for getting to any of the major sights in HK, including which public transportation to take (Star Ferry, busses, subway), exactly where to get the transportation, and the bus numbers, where to get off, what hours the sights are open, etc. They were also able to immediately answer any questions we had regarding restaurants, providing suggestions and directions, etc.
Les

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Les

OOPS! Sorry. I saw "YMCA", and I thought "Hong Kong". Well, remember my reply should you ever have a similar question about Hong Kong. Sorry to waste your time.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 02:43 AM
RIcky

I stayed at YMCA 2 years ago. The room was great considering the price. Our room was a double room and pretty comfortable. but not sure any extra bed added. Location is excellent (5 minutes walk to underground, Shanghai Museum & Peoples Square). Although it looks a bit old outside, the hotel lobby and the rooms are much better than outside.