Shanghai Centre

Apr 29th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Lia
Original Poster

Shanghai Centre

Has anyone stayed at the Shanghai Centre apartments? Given the location near the Portman Ritz Carlton and amenities, it looks like a real value that is possibly better than staying in a hotel.
Apr 30th, 2004, 01:34 AM

While I haven't stayed there, I have many friends who live there (I live in Shanghai). I think a serviced apartment can often be a good alternative to a hotel (in many cities), and for amenities, Shanghai Centre can't be beat in Shanghai.

The complex has three connected towers, one of which is the Portman Ritz-Carleton, and the other two are residential towers. The largest imported (Western) supermarket is located in the retail atrium (so that you can get your fix of Trix and Spaghetti O's, if you so desire), as well as Mrs. Field's, Tony Roma, Hard Rock Cafe, Element Fresh (Western food), Ferragamo, a bank and several international ATMs, a dry cleaner, a pharmacy, and other assorted retail outlets. It's also home to a WONDERFUL international medical clinic . . . which just happens to be where I work!

All that said, the Shanghai Centre isn't the BEST location in Shanghai for tourists, and there are other serviced apartments in Shanghai that probably offer lower prices, albeit without all those amenities (as we all know, Mrs. Field's is a necessity for any traveler!).

While it is on the famous Nanjing Road, it's about 20 minutes from the walking area with all the neon lights that features in so many pictures of Shanghai. It is just a few blocks from a metro station, however, and there is always a line of taxis.

Good luck!
Apr 30th, 2004, 06:05 AM

My wife and I stayed in a studio apt in the Shanghai Center for 9 nights in Oct/Nov 2002. It is a very nice place to stay and I definitely reccommend it as an alternate to a foreign run 5 star hotel.

I'll be glad to answer specific questions.
Apr 30th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Does someone have a web site for the Shanghai Centre Apartments.
Jun 9th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Lia
Original Poster

I think the correct spelling for the website is www.shanghaicentre.com. Still haven't stayed there though I've heard good things about it!
Jun 9th, 2004, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the correction.

One small point. At least in Oct 2002, they required that I paid in full upon arrival for the entire stay. They charged an extra 2-3% for using credit card.