Shanghai airports

Search

Shanghai airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shanghai airports

I am heading to China for the first time in just a few days! I'm excited but am a little worried about the airports in Shanghai. I arrive at the Pu Dong Airport, and then have to transfer to the Hongqiao airport. I see that there's a bus that runs between the two, anyone know how long this takes? If I land on time I will only have two hours to get through customs and make it to Hongqiao before my next flight leaves. Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 06:57 PM

You chance of making a 2-hour connection is zero. Let's just put it that way.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 07:17 PM

BTW, according to China Eastern's UK site, they provide free transfer between the airports for their passengers. Minimum transit time is 3 hours, which is also what China Eastern's Chinese site says.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:05 PM

was just in shanghai about a month ago, and the 2 hour window is way too short. they are fairly quick getting you through customs, but having to get your bags, go through customs, find the bus, and re-check in is a lot to do.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:47 AM

Two hours are definitely NOT enough.

It takes at least one hour (my experience) from deplaning, through immigration, claiming bags and clearing customs. There are always waiting lines! If you are the first ones to get off the plane, you will save some time.

Then there is waiting at the taxi stand. The non stop shuttle bus from PuDong to Hongqiao runs every 10 minutes from 7:20am to 11pm. I estimate the distance between the 2 airports to be around 45 miles and it will take at least 1-1/4 hours assuming reasonble traffic jam. The non stop shuttle bus fare is less than US4 and the taxi fare is estimated at about US$30.

I also assume you'll need to check in at Hongqiao at least i hour before departure.

For me, I will need at least 4 hour to feel comfortable without getting high blood pressure. Even 3-hour does not allow too much safety factor.

I have been through PuDong 5 times in the last 5 years. We took taxi to go to city center (about 30 miles from PuDong). It could take up to an hour especially during rush hours. Hongqiao is roughly another 15 miles from the city center.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

This is what I was afraid of! Thank you for the advice, I will (quickly) try to find a new plan.