Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Seeking feedback on Thai itinerary (please and thank you!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this yesterday but have not received any response. Would be incredibly grateful for the thoughts of the Thai experts out there!

I've read the Fodors boards with great interest over the past several weeks, and they've given me lots of great ideas for our upcoming trip to Thailand. I've booked some of the places mentioned, but before I confirm some others, I'd love to get people's thoughts:

Arrive BKK late Jan. 12 (11:45 pm) from LA
Jan 12-15 -- BKK (Silom Serene -- booked)
Jan 15-18 -- Chiang Mai (Baan Orapin--booked)
Jan 18-20 -- Mae Hong Son (Fern Resort-booked)
Jan 20-21 -- Chiang Dao (Chiang Dao nest?)
Jan 21-23 -- Chiang Rai/Chiang Saen (Anantara?)
Jan 23-24 -- Phi Phi (TBD)
Jan 24-29 -- Khao Lak (Sarojin--booked -- couldn't pass up this great deal!)
Jan 29-Feb1 -- BKK (place TBD - maybe Peninsula/Oriental if budget allows)

What do you think of this itin? We plan to do some diving/snorking from Khao Lak, and I'm greatly interested in the national parks there. Is it worth it to go to Phi Phi for just one night? Or would I be better tacking that day to Northern Thailand or BKK??

Do you think I could rework the schedule a bit to allow for Isan?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 04:54 PM

i would reverse krabi and phi phi, going to phi phi either in the middle of my khao lak visit or after it...

the marriott in bangkok on the river is a good alternative to the more lux hotels....great pool to relax in after your trip...

you are really doing too much moving around imo...

i would cut the trip up north...it will take you almost 2 days to recover from your flight west...so your initial time in bkk will not be all that productive...

i would add days to bkk both at the beginning and the end and extend your beach time....

do the north another time...

imo
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 06:06 PM

I have to agree with Bob, you are moving around too much. Travling in Asia is not like traveling in Europe, you need to slow down to experience it. I'd cut either Chaing Dao or Chaing Rai/Sean and I'd opt for one beach location, and add days to Bangkok. One of my rules is no place is only worth one night... and you have two such places.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 07:05 PM

one thing we didn't say above is that it takes at least 1/2 day to get anyplace in thailand...if you fly often more time as it takes a long time to the airport and processing is not always the fastest, plus the lead time you have to allow...

you will love thailand much more if you see less of it the first time...

for instance, my first trip i went to bkk and CM only....and that was sensory overload...
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the thoughtful feedback. It's so hard to resist wanting to see/do everything (I'm always afraid we'll never get a chance to come back!).

I'll readjust the schedule.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 05:30 PM

i think you will be glad you did....the heat and humidity will knock you for a loop and the jet lague is not to be underestimated...

for your first hotel, i suggest one with a good pool...
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:59 PM

I would agree with most of the replys... we are here in Kho Samui right now. You are doing the right thing by starting in the north and finishing in the south (if you like beaches and tropical) We are heading to Chiang Rai tomorrow and then to Chiang Mai and Bangkok.

We planned our schedule to move around every 3 or 4 days and like the other postings, I would agree, spend some time in each place and cut out some of the "hopping around". If I had to do it all over again, I would spend maybe 3-5 days in the Chiang Mai/Rai area and extend my stay in Koh Samui, it is absolutely beautiful (if you like island life), less time in Phuket. You can take day trips to Phi Phi and other island destinations that will give you the feel of that part of Thailand... hope this helps...