Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Seascape in Koh Samui or Cocohut in Koh Phangan?

Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

I am heading to Thailand in August and planning a week in Bangkok and then a few days on the beach. I am looking for a place to stay that is on the beach, where I can dig my toes in the sand, drink an exotic drink, and swim. (I am planning on snorkeling and kayaking also--probably a day trip to Ang Thong Park). After reading guidebooks and checking www.sawadee.com, I have found these two places in my price range (@$100 per night) but I still can't decide----has anyone stayed at either of these places, Seascape Beach Resort on Koh Samui or Cocohut Village Beach Resort on Koh Phagnan?
Feb 2nd, 2009, 08:12 PM

You need to decide first on which island, although close to eachother very different indeed.
Koh Samui far more tourist built up.
Avoid Full moon time for Koh Phangan.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM

I've stayed at Seascape, just this past May. It was about a 2-3 star place. The place is convenient, quite reasonable, and clean. You can get a bungalow very close to the beach, if that is what you desire. The beach is pretty nice in this area.

There are many places that are more lux (but at a higher cost). If the Seascape is in your budget, I'd say go for it.
Feb 4th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
James A--my problem is that I am having a hard time deciding between the two islands, and I have noticed that, well, the people that respond on this forum are fairly opinionated and give great advice--and that might help me decide. You mention they are very different--some days I think Ko Samui would be better due to the fact that it is touristy--there might be more to do?? Then I think Ko Phangan would be better because it will have a more relaxing, rustic feel. Then I hear that Ko Samui has better restaurants and that is important to me. I have heard conflicting views on which island has the more beautiful white sand/blue water beaches. To be honest, I am leaning toward Cocohut on Ko Phangan today-but just on a gut feeling from the sawadee website. Perhaps I need to tell myself that either way, I will be on a beautiful vacation on the beaches in Thailand!! Thanks for any input!

Also--I am traveling in August--how far in advance should I book it?
Feb 4th, 2009, 07:20 AM

I was about to say split the time between the 2 but now note that you only have a 'few days'.

The only person who can make the decision is yourself.

Carol ( simpsonc510 ) has told you about Seascape, perhaps add to your thoughts that you can get to Samui is 1 hr 10 - 1 hr 30 ( whether jet or turbo-prop ), for Koh Phangan you have to the go to the pier and take a boat, although not a long trip it is that added transport, same thing return, boat to Samui then to the airport for flight back to Bangkok.

Add that if dining out is important you have more options and ranges of cuisine on Samui.

I'm not pushing you one way or another, but some 'food for thought' to help you decide in your own mind.
Koh Phangan leans towards laid back, "chill-out"(?), hey who cares what day it is !
Samui more tourist orientated, but, you only say you have a few days so you want to make the most of the time you have.
They are not just a 'little' different they are way different.

If beach time is important do you want/need a week in Bangkok - that comes down to your decision between city and beach time. A 'few days' is not giving you much time to enjoy the beach time.

August is very busy time for Samui, don't wait too long.
Feb 4th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Right next door to the Seascape is Poppies Resort. It has a really nice beachside restaurant.

Just beyond Chaweng Beach is another really nice restaurant called The Cliff.

Almost next door to the Cliff, and on a small, more private beach, is a place called Crystal Bay Beach Resort. Much quieter, if quiet is what you are looking for. Rooms have been refurbished recently, and they are nice! The location is on Jubilee Beach, which is in between Chaweng and Lamai. You would maybe want to rent a jeep or bikes though. Crystal Bay does not have a pool, but you don't need one. The beautiful beach is right outside your door.

Oh... and yes, Samui would have more to do! If you like go-karts, some of the fastest ones around are at a track on the northern side of the island.

You would want to rent "something" at least one day and do a drive around the island!!!

Carol
Feb 4th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Seascape should be less than $100. Call the place and ask for Brian. He is one of the 2 owners, and a good friend. Tell him Brad said he might give you a special rate.

Worth a try.