Samui / Phuket / Somewhere else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 8 days in December of 2019 and we are looking for great, clean beach; a little bit of night life; a little bit of shopping and sightseeing. We aren't big partiers and like something more subdued. Should we spend all 8 days somewhere on the quieter side? Or should we split our time and maybe do six days on a quiet part of Thailand (Samui?) and two days somewhere more populated like Phuket?
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 03:48 AM

Phuket has more to do, my opinion.

Are you a married couple with kids or a bunch of guys out for whatever?

If adult type nightlife is a priority choose Phuket. You don't have to stay in one location in Phuket.

If you first fly to Bangkok that city is cheaper than Phuket. Also shopping is better than Phuket too.

Your choice.
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

It will be my wife and I. We are in our late 40s. We like some nightlife but not overly crowded. We LOVE the beach and want a nice/clean/large beach and quiet if possible. By the things that i've read it seems that Samui may fit the bill a little better than Phuket. Is this the case? I was thinking of splitting the time evenly or stay a little longer at one and shorter at the other.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 10:55 AM

My advice is always to choose one beach. If you opt to split your time, you'll waste most of a day getting from one beach to the other.

I don't know that I've ever heard Samui referred to as "the quieter side of Thailand." At that time of the year, you will have the best weather on the Andaman Sea side of Thailand.

There are many different beaches in the Phuket area and they all have their own "vibe." Some are noisy, tacky party beaches like Patong, some are quieter. You will want to read about the various Phuket beaches and consider beaches a bit farther away like Ko Lanta.

Take a look at one of the hotel booking sites and see what places catch your eye. Then you can come back here and ask for feedback about your choices.