SEA-TPE-BKK Layover concern

Sep 21st, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

SEA-TPE-BKK Layover concern

EVA airlines seems to be our best choice for traveling from Seattle to Bangkok in January. I have only one concern. The layover in Taipei is only 40 minutes. We're scheduled to arrive at TPE at 7:50am and depart for Bangkok at 8:30am. We do change planes. I don't know if we have to go thru customs since we're only changing planes. Does anyone have experience with this flight/connection? Do you think it's reasonable/possible?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Sep 21st, 2005, 08:39 AM

You do not have to clear customs in Taipei however that layover is quite short so you might want to call EVA and find out if you are using the same plane. If that is the case you will off board and wait in an area justb outside the gate and then re-board- so that layover period will not be an issue.
We have flown EVA a few times to Bangkok and Manila but it has been via LA and we had to change planes but our layover was several hours so it was not a problem.
Sep 21st, 2005, 09:11 AM

I don't know if it was yourself or another person asking same question, theirs was a 35 minute transfer from the 0755 arrival for the 0830 departure, it would certainly be a different aircraft, on most days there is another flight at 0920 which would be much easier, my concern would be them transferring your baggage, with all the security arriving on a long haul from SEA due in at 0750 or 0755 for an 0830 connection is very very tight indeed, the official minimum connection time is 1 hr, and those minimum connection times go back years and decades, if they have the 0920 flight on the day you arrive it would be much more relaxing to be on that flight.
Sep 21st, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

I just looked again, and James is correct, there is a 9:20 flight that I overlooked. Thanks for the heads up! That will be much much better!
Sep 21st, 2005, 09:46 AM

Love2, you are the second from Seattle who have asked the same question, and also we have had others recently about some very tight connections being offered, I think the 0920 operates certain days, do check the 'day' of arrival because I think theat flights leaves SEA at 0255 in the morning?, so check carefully the 'day' of arrivals, e.g I think if you left at 0255 on say a Tuesday you arrive 0750 Wendesday(? )
Sep 21st, 2005, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi James,
Yes, it leaves Seattle in the wee hours and the day changes, but the advantage is that it arrives in Bangkok in the daytime. Most flights out of Seattle get in around midnight, and we don't want to try finding our way around in a new, foreign city at that hour. At least if something goes haywire in Seattle we know the ropes.

Thanks again.

Sep 21st, 2005, 11:38 AM

I agree, that time departure means you can take a leisurely trip to the airport, find it real quiet, by time you take off there will be no runway queues and best of all you will be tires from being up all day it will really help you sleep at a natural time.
Have a good flight! I think Eva are excellent.
Sep 21st, 2005, 11:47 AM

I think these late night flights are fabulous. You're tired so sleeping is easier and best of all you get into Bangkok at a normal hour. Can go to the hotel, unpack, relax, have a nice dinner and go to bed at 10PM. It makes jet lag 100% better in my mind. It's 1000 times better than getting in at 11PM and not getting to the hotel until well after midnight.
Sep 21st, 2005, 12:18 PM

We love EVA AIR- we get to fly in their Evergreen Deluxe Class for about $200-$300 more than coach and it makes a big difference and we get all the miles on our Continental plan as EVA is a partner. No need to use miles to upgrade. Its great!