SE Asia Visa Requirements

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a Canadian citizen and I've been poking around other forums, but just wondering about the following country/Visa requirements:

Cambodia - the consulate told me to send my passport in, but I see from this site that you can just get at the airport upon arrival?

Laos - from this site I can just get at airport upon arrival?

Thailand/Malaysia - looks as though I don't need a particular VISA so long as I'm not there too long.

Also, I noticed somewhere that somebody asked about passport photos - to bring them with. Would I only need 2 sets - Cambodia and Laos??

If anybody could confirm or add to this for me would be great, feel like I'm about to be hosed with some of what's out there on the net...

Thanks,
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM

Yes, as a Canadian citizen, you can get visas on arrival at the airports for both Cambodia and Laos. You'll need a set of passport photos for each and exact change, preferably in US$ for the two visas.

Thailand you get 30 days visa-free entry on arrival by air, and you get visa-free entry to Malaysia and Singapore as well. If you leave Thailand and re-enter by air, you get another 30 days, but if you re-enter overland you get 14 days..
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 05:21 PM

Its a very simple procedure at both Cambodian and Laos airports. I would not bother getting visas in advance.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:56 PM

Don't get a visa in advance for Lao. A 28 day visa on arrival is easily obtained at major points of entry. I think it is $40 or $45USd for Canadians. You need a passport sized photo as well. Ensure that the USD you get are relatively new and unmarked, especially for Cambodia.
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM

We are travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, and Bali from the US. Will I need 8 passport size pictures for all of our visa's. What will the estimate of cost be for each visa? We will be travelling from Cambodia to Bangkok by taxi but will be in Thailand for 17 days. Should I print off the visa info forms ahead of time? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 12:44 PM

Cambodia - visa is $20USD on arrival.
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 12:50 PM

You must obtain or arrange your VN visa in advance. No visa on arrival for VN, though they call their pre-arranged visa a visa on arrival. VN visa is approx. $65 for US citizens. 2 photos

Cambodia requires 2 photos, cost approx $25.

Laos requires 2 photos, cost approx $30.

Thai visa-free entry is free. But since you are arriving overland, you only get 14 days. If you will be there 17 days, you will need to get a visa. This must be arranged in advance. I'm not sure of the current price, since thee last time I got a Thai visa was over 20 years ago. You might re-consider and fly into Thailand instead. WHile the Bangkok Air price Siem Reap to Bangkok is expensive, you could opt to fly from PP instead. 2 photos.

Indonesia visa also requires 2 photos, US$25.