SE Asia Problem: Suggestions, Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just discovered that our Pandow trip from Saigon for Dec. 10 has been cancelled (reservations made and deposit sent over one year ago!) I have made all other reservations around these dates. If we take an earlier Pandow trip (leaving the morning after we arrive in Ho Chi Minh) we would have inferior accommodations in addition to being exhausted. If we don't go on the Pandow, we will have approximately 10 additional days before being in Siem Reap. Are there any suggestions out there? Such as where to go or what to see in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia? I am feeling very frustrated and tired at this point.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 09:00 AM

you could fly up to hanoi for a few days and/or visit a few other places in viet nam...

you could go to laung prabang as well, but at this late date all the good hotels may be takenn..

you could fly over to bkk for a few days at a lux hotel
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 09:04 AM

you might be tired by going a day earlier, but on the boat there would be plenty of time to recoup....would you actually spend much time in your stateroom? i'm think most time would be spent on deck...so slightly inferior rooms might not matter that much??????
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

The slightly inferior rooms means one over the engines or one on the lower deck. I had been looking forward to watching the world go by from the upper deck. Yes, I know I am being petty at this point but I tried so hard to make all these arrangements long in advance. And, yes, I know this is what "Travel" means. Any quick recommendations on hotels in Hanoi
and/or Luang Prabang? What airline should I try? Will be in BKK after Siem Reap (Dec. 20 to 26th) so north Vietnam and Laos looks good.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM

I am not familiar with Pandow, but I can tell you that from my perspective I prefer a water level cabin as long as it has a picture window. On the Nile River cruise several people who had upper deck cabins wanted to see the view from our cabin, and said they preferred the water level view. In addition, the ship feels less rocky at the water level, a feature I need because of my husband's fear of getting sea sick. So if the lower cabins on your ship have picture windows, not port holes, I'd go for it.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 05:17 PM

i see what you mean....

LP hotels...my favorite is la residence PV....people like maison s____ for its location ....
there are many new places also
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 05:39 PM

A guy who uses the screen name of Mitch(plus a number) has reviewed a number of Pandaw cruises. He preferred the lower cabins as they were cooler. Do a search here on Pandaw and I know you'll find his reports.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Well maile, it sounds like you're pissed off at Pandaw - and for good reason. Take a deep breath. The Pandaw cruise is great. Full stop. You made a wise move when you booked it. You weren't wrong. So - maybe, think past the fact they screwed you around and go with it.

I'm just not quite sure whether you've decided to do it or not. You gotta let the frustration go before you can think straight, I reckon. What's the latest thoughts?
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, Dogster, I am pissed. And I have been sitting back (and waking up in the middle of the night I might add)and trying to transfer my thoughts to Plan B. Now either I can take the Pandow trip (which was one of the original purpose of this trip ... but I have walked away from more enticing ideas) OR I can fly out of Ho Chi Minh after a couple of days to other areas of interest and take those extra eleven or so days to spend elsewhere. I am not a huge fan of flying around every other day so that means careful planning. Thinking about Singapore and Kuala Lampur ....? Just so that I can get back to Siem Reap by the 17th of December. Suggestions would be most welcomed. And thanks for letting me vent. I would not be as frustrated as I am perhaps if this could have been handled a little differently, such as "We are terribly sorry ...."
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Latest on my thought process such as it is. Think we'll go with the Pandow trip and then immediately fly out of Siem Reap to Luang Prabang and then back to Siem Reap for our original stay there ... and on to Bangkok. I am mastering the flawed acceptance. Forgiveness is not yet mine however.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 03:59 PM

yup, maile, I can sense your frustration. I've checked out Pandaw website - I see your problem.
Full boat, only that back upstairs cabin or lower deck.

To stay with Pandaw: I've travelled same boat, same cruise in cabin 105 lower deck. There just one [or two, I forgot] porthole. You're literally one inch above water level. Those cabins are bigger than the others lol. Yup. By about a third.

The reality is that you'll spend hardly any time at all in your cabin. The top deck is where everybody congregates.

Donno about vibration in back cabin. That's your only issue. Down the back, up the front, it's all exactly the same.

I know you're pissed and Pandaw doubtless screwed you around - but you've gotta recover and dump this now. Otherwise, if you go with them, you'll still be pissed and that's no good. It's done. And being angry will confuse you in other planning. So... de-e-e-ep breath.

I don't know anything about you - so I'll assume you're me. In this situation - if I DIDN'T go Pandaw, then Hanoi/Halong would kill 5/6 days easy as pie. You could knock that off in two E-mails [or, just call them. Quicker, easier, you're frustrated enough without waiting for replies, just get on the phone and call.]
One E mail to Metropole Hanoi.
you can sort out all touring on the spot. Easy. That's what concierges are for.
One E mail/call to Halong Bay cruise [do two nights, rela-a-ax - Bhaya cruises]
One flight HCMC to Hanoi - easy.

fly to Luang Prabang -
4 nights, easy. No drama, organise anything you want on the ground.dunno about hotels tho. I liked Maison Souvannaphoum. I'd be calling these guys. It's peak time.
[just checked - they have rooms 10 - 17 December]
http://www.angsana.com/en/luang_prabang/index.html

fly to Siem Reap. Go a day early.

Back on your plan.

So, over to you. If you can be specific we can help - but you gotta make that central decision. I can tell you're in the 'dunno what to do' place. I know what that's like. So let me help you move out of it.

Calm. Ahhhhhh.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 05:22 PM

perfect solution!!
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

I am getting very good at taking deep breaths. Doesn't seem to help much however. The rep from Pandow just informed me that we would NOT be able to make the 12:55 flight from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang on Dec. 13th. There doesn't seem to be a later zero stop flight out later in the afternoon or even the next day ... it somehow gets very confusing using various flight information sites. Vietnam Airlines doesn't give me anything. What I would now like is to find a way out of Siem Reap on the afternoon of the 13th and get to Maison Souvannaphoum in Luang Prabang for the 13th to 17th when I would fly back to Siem Reap and continue just as planned before Pandow screwed up.
The author Alice Steinbach noted the word "travel" comes from the Latin "trepalium" which loosely translated means "instrument of torture".
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:56 PM

Laos Air has a flight out at 15.00 that makes a stop at Pakse and arrives LP at 18.15. The stop in Pakse can be short or longer than normal drpending on the number of people getting a Laos visa.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM

Hi Maile

Is it really necessary for you to be in Siem Reap on the original dates. Could you take the cruise, stay in Siem Reap and then go up to Luang Prabang and from there to Bangkok. I know it would mean changing some of your other bookings and this may not be possible (or cost a lot extra) but it would save a lot of going back and forth as well as having to get another visa for Cambodia.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 09:28 PM

Mary has the clue. A pit stop in Pakse is no big deal, you'll be able to see the Mekong down below. Kinda good really.

But you're making progress, good to see. L.P. is super easy.

And remember, it's not really a big deal to get your OWN transfer from Pandaw to shore. They can pay for it, seeing as they stuffed you around in the first place.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Hey. I like these suggestions and a smile is beginning to return to these darkened climes. I shall work on the change in Siem Reap (hotel and guide) and then the airlines. Will let you know the progress .... And many thanks.