Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

SE Asia experts... need some trip planning help.

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the "I need help planning an itinerary" question pops up weekly here. That said, I need help planning an itinerary. Travel will likely be in February 2008, but would like to have most plans in order to redeem FF miles when the window opens in March.

Some things of note (itinerary starter below):
- I know that we're cramming a TON into a 2-week trip (should have 13 nights on the ground in SE Asia). However, from experience, I know that I'd rather see the tip of the iceberg in many locations (i.e. the Cliffs Notes version) than an in-depth look at fewer. This way, we can see what we like and explore certain areas in more detail on a future trip. I.E- I know many people say you need 3 or more full days to experience Angkor Wat. I know we'll miss tons there doing it in less time, but given my limited vacation, you take what you can get.
- Adding to the previous point, I know all cities have their own flavor and flair. However, I'd rather dive deeper into the cultural centers of country than spend more than a couple days in a major city, even one as diverse and exciting as Bangkok (again, which could be explored in more detail on a future trip).
- While I know most people think it's a waste ot time to jump around too much from city A to City B, I'm very into the travel experience (i.e. experiencing new airports or airlines). So while some people would think it's nuts to travel every 2nd or 3rd day, I enjoy that.
- Previous SE Asia trip took us to Bali and Singapore, and while I'd love to get back down that way (and see KL), I would like to narrow the focus to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.

OK, all that said... an initial blush plan would look something like this:

Start: Washington, DC to SGN
Ho Chih Minh City- 2 nights
Fly to Hanoi- 2 nights
Fly to Bangkok- 2 nights
Fly to Chiang Mai- 3 nights
Fly to Koh Samui- 2 nights (wife wants to hit a beach for a couple days)
Fly to Siem Reap- 1 night (but leave 10pm final night to, so 1 1/2 days total)

OK... thoughts? I know it's nuts (and I suspect I'll get a dozen of you reminding me of that!), but what would be worth cutting out? Would it be worth it to add/substitite Hue or Danang (and remove Koh Samui for my wife's beach fix)??

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Yes, you are right. I'll be blunt: three countries in two weeks is nuts. I think you are setting yourselves up to have no real experience of any of the places you've listed, but you will be able to check them off on a list.

If you cut Chiang Mai and Koh Samui you will have a chance to taste each of the other places. Another option would be to choose two countries, and focus your two weeks on those (either Thailand and Siem Reap Cambodia or else VN and Cambodia). In any case, slow down and experience the places you are going.

If you aren't interested enough in the temples at Angkor to spend enought time to see a few of them and have an experience of them, then don't go. A day and a half will give you no sense of Cambodia or of the temples.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Kathie- thanks for your feedback. Upon seeing the potential itinerary in writing, my wife instantly recognized there's too much traveling for such a short trip, so we agreed to cut Siem Reap out of this trip.

So, we'd now have something like this, recognizing that we're totally open to changing this itinerary 1000 times before booking (reordering or replacing some destinations):

Start: Washington, DC to SGN
Ho Chih Minh City- 3 nights
Fly to Hanoi- 2 nights
Fly to Chiang Mai- 3 nights
Fly to Koh Samui- 3 nights (wife still wants beach, and we're thinking against Phuket based on some things we've read about how built up it is)
Fly to Bangkok- 2+ nights (plus leave 1:40am on 3rd night)
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 02:50 PM

You said "I'd rather dive deeper into the cultural centers of country than spend more than a couple days in a major city, even one as diverse and exciting as Bangkok"

BUT...HCMC, Hanoi, Chiang Mai and BKK are al major cities. Of course they have culture, but they are major cities, where you said you didn't want to spend your time.

Koh Samui is a beach resort island that could be anywhere, really. We used to go to Samui every year for 10 days of doing nothing...we went back to the same resort each time until it was sold, after which we no longer had any reason to go to Samui. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with Samui or beach time, it is not a cultural center at all.

I guess I'm confused by what you want. Do you want a whirlwind tour of Vietnam's and Thailand's major cities with an island thrown in? That is what you have outlined. From your first post, it seemed to me you wanted a more in depth experience.

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 03:02 PM

You already know this goes against the usual advice, so I won't belabor the point. I would tweak it and go to Phuket rather than Ko Samui. Both are built up. You can certainly stay in relatively isolated places in Phuket. You can fly CM-Phuket direct on Thai Air. This will save you from transferring in BKK, if you were to go to Ko Samui. I would also try to book early morning or late evening flights in SEA. This will maximize your time at each destination, all 5 of them. Good luck.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 09:28 PM

Completely aggree with Gpanda. Take out Koh Samui(for lots of reasons)and plump for Phuket. Maybe four nights. I would also keep Angkor Wat on the list and Bangkok. That to me is enough to cram in to a two week trip.
Save Vietnam for another day.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Just my 2 cents...

I'd do 3 nights in Hanoi and 2 in Saigon because I just personally enjoyed Hanoi more. We're going to Vietnam again soon and are revisiting Hanoi and skipping Saigon. You might consider seeing Hue/Danang/Hoi An while you're there (and Halong Bay).

I'd skip the beach leg entirely if you're really looking for a cultural immersion - you won't get much of that in Phuket or Koh Samui. That would leave you more time in Siem Reap and maybe for other parts of Vietnam.