3 weeks - Thailand and Cambodia

Aug 28th, 2018, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

3 weeks - Thailand and Cambodia

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice on my 3 week Thailand and Cambodia itinerary for Jan 2019.

Fly into Chiang Mai - Jan 17 to Jan 21 (5 nights)
Fly from Chiang Mai to Bangkok - Jan 22 to 26 (5 nights)
Fly from Bangkok to Siem Reap Jan 27 - 30 (4 nights)
Fly from Siem Reap to Phuket - then ferry to an island (Koh Lanta, Railay or similar) (Jan 31 to Feb 5) (6 nights)
Fly from Krabi back to Bangkok to catch flight home (Feb 6)

Is this do-able / not too rushed? We are in our late twenties and want a trip with culture and relaxation. Not looking to party, unless its maybe for 1 or 2 nights. Priorities are good food, culture/scenery and great beaches. We can switch up the number of nights in each location.

Also not sure which island to visit. The cheapest/best flight currently from Siem Reap is to Phuket (not Krabi). But from what I've read Koh Lanta or Koh Lipe seem like the best islands for a low-key relaxing vacation. Could I do more than one island in the time available?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin
Aug 28th, 2018, 11:38 PM

Your trip is certainly not too rushed. In fact, I would consider dropping a day from Bangkok an possibly two from Chiang Mai. Both places are great but you could easily cover the highlights in less time. Both places are great for food, although their cuisines are very different.

Just a thought, but you could perhaps utilise the time saved either by adding a side trip to Chiang Rai which has a terrific walking market on a Saturday night and the Black House and White Temple. Some detail and photos on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2015/10...ack-and-white/ . The Saturday walking market has some of the best street food in te north.

An alternative which would mean spend less time somewhere else would be to drive the Mai Hong Sorn Loop from CM. The scenery is spectacular and you could get to experience some of the Hill Tribe villages and culture. See chiangmai_maehongson.pdf for a map and directions allow 3-5 days.

Koh Lanta would seem a decent choice for your beach time in terms of ease of access. A long time since I have visited the Thai islands, but I would suggest not only looking at the island but also the location on that island. Travelfish provides a pretty decent uptodate synopsis @ https://www.travelfish.org/islands#thailand . Personally, I would stick with te one location as you will likely lose the best part of a day moving from one to another.
Aug 29th, 2018, 12:51 AM

Your itinerary doesn't seem rushed to me and I would not cut nights off of either Bangkok or Chiangmai. You have stated above that you want a trip with culture and relaxation. I'm also one into going on vacation for relaxation and not just rushing around and ticking off sites which is one reason why I spend 3 weeks, of my annual 6-week trip to S.E. Asia, in Bangkok before moving on. I have also been to Chiangmai, but it was 19 years ago as this winter will be 20 years of going to Thailand and other S.E. Asian countries.

Have a great time!

Happy Travels!
Aug 30th, 2018, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks both for your quick reply! Appreciate the insight!
Aug 30th, 2018, 12:28 PM

I also think this is a refreshingly realistic itinerary (by Fodorite standards). I have a TR on some of these locations which might help you see what can be fitted into your schedule if you are looking for ideas (in which case click on my ID). If not, have a great trip
Aug 30th, 2018, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'm still not decided on which islands to see/stay in (1 or more than 1). Any suggestions on this would be great as well. Thanks!
Aug 30th, 2018, 01:17 PM

I really liked the archipelago of islands around Koh Chang, but it's a bit off the beaten track, down by the Cambodian border.

Last edited by RM67; Aug 30th, 2018 at 01:20 PM.
Aug 30th, 2018, 03:30 PM

My recommendation for beaches is always "choose one." as otherwise you waste a lot of time moving from one to another. I'd recommend against Koh Lipe, as getting there (and out) is quite time-consuming.
Aug 31st, 2018, 06:00 AM

Ao Maneo beach for me. It's on the southern perimeter of Prachuap Khiri Khan on the Gulf coas, about 70km south of Hua HIn. Easy to reach by road from Bangkok, but the trrain is a much more pleasant experience. Take the 0805 No.43 train from Bangkok [Hualamphong]. Ticket is about 400 baht and includes a meal and soft drink. Bes to book a couple of days in advance.

The beach, which is pristine and sheltered is inside the Wing 5 Royal Thai Air Force Base. Just turn up with your passport at the Main Gate.

We rented bicycles to get there, the beach is about a mile and a half inside, and you have to cross the Runway to reach it. Just look out for a Green to go light.

A very pleasant food court opposite the beach.

Avoid Friday, Saturday and Sunday as it's busy with noisy Bangkok Weekenders.

Great place to relax.

A nice place to stay is the Golden Beach Hotel in Prachuap Khiri Khan.
Sep 4th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Search this Thread