Search

SE Asia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SE Asia

Fodorites:
I love this site. I think I'm addicted. I've been doing almost nothing but reading all the trip reports and other great info for the last month. With your help, I've put together a 23 day trip to Vietnam (11 nts total in Vietnam including Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, HoiAn, Saigon, 3nts in Siem Reap, 4 nts in Bangkok and 3 nts in Chiang Mai. Will be leaving US on Jan 24 '09. Hopefully, the weather won't be too wet or too chilly.Mayra and others have been most helpful. I'm now re-reading for restaurant suggestions. Also, would like some suggestions on vaccinations. Will definitely be getting Hep A and tetanus/diphterra. Not sure if we will need typhoid or maleria. Any commentary on these would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 11:40 AM

In terms of travel medicine issues, take a look at wwwn.cdc.gov/travel
Study the recommendations and talk with your doctor. If you can, visit a tropical medicine or travel med doc.
Typhoid is one of the recommended vaccines for this part of the world.

From what you've written, it sounds like the only malarial risk area you will be visiting is Siem Reap, Cambodia. You will, of course, want to avoid mosquito bites wherever you go, so use a deet containing repellant or a picardin repellant (this info is also on the cdc website).

I can't imagine what would make you think the weather in any of these areas would be "chilly." You are visiting the tropics and you are far more likely to complain about the heat than any other weather issue. www.weatherbase.com gives average highs and lows, rainfall etc, for every month for locations all over the world. Check each of the cities on your itinerary for a good idea of what to anticipate.

A couple of thoughts about your itinerary... It takes three full days just to visit the "major" temples at Angkor. With 3 nights in Siem Reap, you'll likely have two days to visit temples. Is this enough for you? Do buy a copy of Dawn Rooney's book, "Angkor" (most recent edition is 2006) to prepare for your trip. This will also help you decide if you need to add more time to that stop. You are welcome to view our photos of Angkor (and many other palces in SE Asia, at www.marlandc.com

Also, take a look at your plan for VN. You've listed 5 stops for 11 days. Basically, this means you'll be spending almost half of your time in transit.

If it were me (and it isn't) I'd cut at least one location so you could have enough time to experience the others. I'd cut CM, add a night to Siem Reap and add 2 nights to VN. This will still give you a busy schedule in VN, but it will be more manageable.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

thanks Kathie. I thought it was always warm too but I just read a forum indicating they visited Hanoi last Jan'08 and it was rainy with temps in the 40's and 50's. Coming from the SE of US, that's cold for me. Thanks for the tips on the typhoid and maleria. I did read the CDC recommendations but was wondering what the Fodorites actually did as it seems like you have all the knowledge. I know we're trying to do a lot but we do have packed days and will be using a tour guide for the 4 of us (adults). I took the advise of the things to see from the forum and knowing the limits of time, think we put together a pretty comprehensive package. Again, this site has been great. A lot of our travel between cities (countries) will be on early evening flights so we can take advantage of full sightseeing days.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Agree with Kathie the schedule is very packed. It is almost a little like this is Wednesday we must be in??????

You say that you have early evening flights, which will leave you time during the day for sightseeing.
Remember it takes time to pack and to get to the airport, you also need to be there in plenty of time for check ins.

Most travel days are exactly what they say they are, they are travel days. You may have already factored that into your itinerary, and it is possible that this works for you.

It sounds like a very nice if somewhat rushed trip.

Old Sep 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM

Hanoi can definitely get cool in January. Highs typically in the mid 60s and lows in the upper 50s. And it's not unusual for night/early morning temperatures to be in the upper 40s or low 50s.

But keep in mind that it could also be in the 80s! So be prepared.