Saigon questions from 1st timer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife and I are finally heading out to Vietnam next week. This is the first stop of our 3-week vacation. Since growing up in “Little Saigon” California, I’ve always wanted to go to Vietnam. I’ve been to many other countries in Asia multiple times, but never Vietnam.

Currency – Where is the best place to buy & sell? If I have leftover Dong will I be able to sell it in Malaysia or Thailand? How do I avoid counterfeit bills? I hear US$ are widely accepted, but you will usually end up paying a bit more if using them. I also hear it’s wise to bring lots of US$1 bills.
I speak some Vietnamese and can count to 999,999, but what is the word for million?

How long should it take a taxi from the airport to the Renaissance Hotel (district 1) at 11:00 PM on a Thursday night and then back from the hotel to the airport at 10:00 AM on a Monday morning. What should these taxi rides cost? I hear it should be about US$5-10. Do the taxis have meters and are they used? Is it like Bangkok where one might need to insist the driver turn on the meter? Are there pre-paid taxis?

I would like to have a day tour of the Cu Chi Tunnels. Can anyone recommend a place near the Renaissance to book this tour?

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Typically, the best way to get local cash is via ATMs. But, know what your bank charges. If you bank charges you per use at a Foreign ATM, and, worse yet charges you 3% on foreign exchange, you'll do better with cash. Take US$100 bills, the new ones with "big heads." An exchange window at the airport or a bank will give you the best rates. Typically, hotels do not give as good a rate.

I only used dong in VN. I know some people like to use US$1, but typically you'll pay more.

Dong are worthless outside VN. Use them up or change them back at the airport. SOmetimes you can find another traveler to sell youor dong to, but don't except to trade your dong at exchanges in other countries.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie. I have a Capital One Money Market account so no problems using ATM's overseas. Are some bank's ATM's better to use than others?
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 04:49 PM

The time to/from the airport is around 30 minutes. It can be around 15, but there's a lot of construction on the road at the moment, so plan on 30 minutes. Many taxis now have meters, but not all of them. Last time I was there, it was a fixed rate from airport to Dist. 1.

I don't think there's much difference between ATM's. There's a few Citibank machines around HCMC, that you ca try if you have any problems with other ATMs.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 06:04 PM

As Michael says, there won't really be differences in exchange rate between different banks' ATMs. Just choose an ATM that is in the same network as your card (such as Plus or Cirrus). The networks are posted on the ATM.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 10:31 PM

When you check out of your hotel just keep enough VND to get to the airport and maybe a bit more. Pay your hotel bill partly with your left over cash and partly with your credit card.

You don't need the $1 bills in Vietnam. Don't need to worry about counterfeit VND. Taxis have meters. I didn't bother to get cash at the airport and just asked the driver how much the fare was in US$. I think I paid $10. Probably too much by a couple of bucks, but ok.