Search

Route plan: Shanghai to Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Route plan: Shanghai to Hong Kong

Hi.
We are in the first planning stages of a 13 day trip to China. We are a healthy couple over 50.
We land in Shanghai and return home from Hong Kong.
We plan on traveling between cities by trains.
We'd like to hear from you all the "must see" sights along this route.
All suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:05 PM

Sounds like a nice journey and I would recommend a lot of things except in reality it's only 13 days so I do recommend spending a minimum of 5 days in 2 places and the rest chilling out at your start and end points.

So take a train Don't go soft sleeper all the time, go hard sleeper sometimes. You are going to hit a lot of country in-between if you don't go by the coast but the coast isn't anything pretty. Most of the terrain is best enjoyed inland and train is a great way for this distance.

Shanghai will get you prepared, it's a good intro. But prepared for moments of not-so-intro situations until you reach Guangdong unless you decide to fly direct to Hong Kong.

My suggestion: Go West until you reach Chengdu in Suchuan provence. Stay. Enjoy. Then go to Shenzhen and over the border into Hong Kong where you can spend a few days. I'll leave the attractions along the way to you but this is a good adventure.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 02:01 AM

www.seat61.com/China.htm

good info for you hopping on and off

should be a grand adventure...
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 03:10 AM

Is this your first trip to Shanghai and the cities along the banks of the Yangtze? Reason I ask is that if you haven't been, then the most interesting historical sites are in that stretch of cities west of Shanghai, especially Suzhou, Wuxi and Nanjing. There are semi-highspeed trains between Shanghai and Nanjing every few minutes. Among those 4 places, you can already spend 10 days or more.

From Nanjing, continue to Wuhan, then switch to the highspeed rail down to Guangzhou or Shenzhen, then connect to Hong Kong.

If you have already been those cities, then you can take the other route from Shanghai. First to Hangzhou, then along the slower conventional rail route down to Shenzhen or Guangzhou via some cities less visited by foreign tourists.