River Cruise in Feb 2019

Search

River Cruise in Feb 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
River Cruise in Feb 2019

Thinking about a trip to Myanmar in .feb. 2019 including a 2 night cruise from Mandalay to Bagan on the on the Irrawaddy. I have heard some reports that cruise companies are already cancelling some 2019 cruises due to decrease in tourism. Have others heard the same? And interested if anyone has experience with either the Strand cruise or the Ayeyarwady (heritage line cruise)? Thanks.
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 10:46 AM

I've not heard of cruises being cancelled.

I don't know either one of the companies you mention. We did do a cruise with Pandaw on the Chindwin, in the far north of Burma. I like this company, as they were the first to do cruises in Burma, and they are very sensitive to issues impacting the locals. They support medical clinics in rural areas, train and employ locals, etc. The Pandaw boats are teak, constructed in SE Asia, and very different in atmosphere from the "big white ships" as Paul Strachan terms them.
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 03:36 AM

I am booked for a cruise with Pandaw this October - Mandalay to Bagan. I was advised a few weeks ago that the ship has been changed from a 30 cabin ship to a smaller 18 cabin ship (which is fine by me) but this does suggest that cruise bookings are down. Perhaps next year some cruises will be cancelled, especially by those that only use larger ships and don't have the ability to re-schedule with a smaller ship. On the other hand, perhaps there will be some good offers out there finance wise to encourage bookings.
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 08:49 AM

Shandy, Pandaw has many different sizes of ships and they move them around depending on demand on particular routes. Since you are taking a Pandaw cruise this year, you will get on their mailing list and will see the sale price offers early each season.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 11:10 PM

All the cruise companies have cut back for winter 2018/9 including Pandaw. I was planning a return cruise (did it 2006) to Bhamo over NY but the cruise has been cancelled/consolidated and dates changed so I won't include a cruise this time.I do feel sorry for the crews,and their families, and others in the tourist business who have been laid off.
SS
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 12:00 AM

Hi Silverswimmer, it's good to see you again.