Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Rhkkmk and everyone! Please help, we have 22 days vac & I can decide which route. Going on Cathay.

Rhkkmk and everyone! Please help, we have 22 days vac & I can decide which route. Going on Cathay.

Mar 31st, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

We have 22 days for the Asia trip in Dec. I can't decide/not sure which destination I should take? We are going w/Cathy. I have to stop and see my dad in BKK since he live there. Maybe we can fly into Bali and after that stop at Phuket or Langkawi and than go to BKK OR fly into Bali & stop at Singapore, & than fly into Phuket and fly out from BKK to Dallas. Please give suggestions. I would love go to BKK, Maylaysia, Singapore and Bali on this trip but I don't think I have enough time and I don't want to rush around. OR I can always skip BKK since I have been there so many times. How may days should I spend in Bali and the rest? Thank you so much for being kind and taking the time.
Mar 31st, 2005, 06:45 AM

Here is my suggestion. If you want to do Bangkok, Phuket, Singapore and bali.

Cathay can fly you via HKG to BKK
Cathay also fly BKK-Singapore

OK, so you can fly into BKK to see your Dad, offload baggage and things you don't need for the whole trip. Let him show you around. Then fly Cathay to SIN and connect onwards SIN-Bali(DPS) on spend a couple on days in Singapore. Spend your relaxing days then fly DPS-SIN-HKT ( mid afternoon from Bali gets you to Phuket by 7.30 pm ), enjoy your days in Phuket and then fly back, see your Dad and homewards.

Tickets, you will have to look at the difference with Cathay of a US-HKG-BKK-SIN ticket against a US-HKG-BKK ticket.

If the US-HKG-BKK-SIN is reasonable then just add on a SIN-DPS return, ex Singapore there are good deals on say 3 and 4 nights packages that include return flight, transfers and accommodation. If you did that you would fly back with Catahy from SIN-BKK and then do the 1 hr 'hop' BKK-Phuket)HKT) separate, and why not ask Dad to come along!

You don't want to get caughtbuying one-ways as they are expensive. But, if you can commit to dates to can get some real bargains by using some of the budget carriers.
I think you need to settle a bit what you 'really' want to do as there are so many multiple computations of routing here. If you fly HKG-Bali with Cathay you then have to 'one way' it back to Singapore to pick up Cathay again.

Is there any reason it has to be Cathay? Singapore Airlines could do the whole lot for you.
Mar 31st, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Sa Watdii Ka James,

Thank you so much for the advise. The reason we are using Cathay is because of the American FF miles that my husband received (enough for 1st calss with Cathay or Japan Airline). Last year we went to BKK & Myanmar but paid for the Business class with Singapore Airline. My husband almost had a heart attack because of the BC cost. I can always skip BKk and come up with a new plan? I must say I love BKK.
Mar 31st, 2005, 09:12 AM

Before going further I would find out from Cathay if they will let you route: US-HKG-BKK-SIN and then return Bali)DPS)-HKG-US without any penalty, if you can do that then do a circle route.

It is that gap between SIN-Bali where you just have SQ or Garuda. If you skipped Bali you could do US-HKG-SIN-BKK-HKG-US or the other way and then just do Phuket from Singapore ( Tiger Airways Budget carrier Singapore-Phuket is cheap or wide choice cheap flights Phuket-Bangkok ).
or
US-HKG-SIN and then BKK-HKG-US, then you can make your way up thru Malaysia into Thailand and onwards to Bangkok.

Could you save some miles by doing BC on the trans-pacifics and then roughing it with the rest of us in Coach for the regionals? Could save a lot of miles/cost.

Here's a tip: Invest about $30 in an "OAG Asia Pacific Flight Guide", paperback size, although monthly is really I think an amzing help in planning, ok, final flights may change but it shows all the airlines in good old fashioned airline 'timetable' style,I personaly would never be without one, with all valid respect to online airlines websites, when you want to see what time to leave Bali, what time is a connection in Singapore, what's the next flight, which airlines fly, you cannot beat it. I would recommend to anyone planning, flipping over the pages with your thumb on the ex Bali flight page and another finger on the ex BKK page, beats anything. When someone asks a question here about a flight I just flip to the page in the OAG in an instant. ( That's what I'm doing now!)
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:16 AM

clear---not knowing exactly what your interests are i can't say for certain what you should do...i will tell you that we spent a week in bali and thought it was perfect....we had a driver, putu, who was fantastic and took us all over the island except the extreme north beach area....
we positioned ourselves in the south and travelled out from there each day...we stayed at the conrad and at the bali hyatt....we loved the town of sanur where the bali hyatt is....we visited ubud a couple of times and would another time choose to spend maybe 2 nites there for shopping, restaurants and exploring....kuta was a mad house and we were glad to only drive through there...
there is tons to see in bali...transportation is slow and the roads are only 2 lane generally....with a driver you really get to some out of the way places and get to really experience bali life...staying at a lux hotel at a reasonable price affords you a sanctuary as well in western style...

i think singapore is worth 2-3 days...langkawi is nice in malaysia but is an island/beach place like bali but without the huge culture that bali affords...

my 22 day trip would be: bkk, singapore, bali, HK and home with a week to 10 days in bali...
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Bob & James,

Many thanks! I checked with Cathay and we can leave from DFW to HK (free stop over) and then Bali, SIN or BKK first. so starting trip will be let's say: DFW, HKG & Bali/DPS. If we want to go from Bali to SIN or BKK (we have to buy domestic ticket). I guess I'm thinking from Bali, we should fly into SiN and stay for 3 days and Fly to Phuket and then Fly back from BKK to US? What do your think? I basically like awesome spa services, good authentic food and nice lux hotle to stay and do somewhat sightseeing. Having Putu for 2 or 3 days would be great.

OR another idea; fly into BKK first, go to phuket and than Sinapore. From Singapore fly to Bali/DPS and leave from DPS stop in HKK and come home to Dallas? As you can tell I'm confused but excited.
Regards,
Sandy
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

James:

How can I order the "OAG Asia Pacific Flight Guide" book? Thank you.
Mar 31st, 2005, 11:00 AM

Bali is wonderful and you can easily spent 8-10 days there. I would divide the time between a beach hotel and a hotel in Ubud. I'd do no less than 6 days in Bangkok and no more than 2 or 3 days in Singapore (personally I think you'd be better off spending the time in Hong Kong if you are flying Cathay-- it's much more interesting).

I'd save Malaysia for another trip.
Mar 31st, 2005, 12:04 PM

The only carriers Bali(DPS) to Singapore are Singapore Airlines (SQ) who have 3 x daily 777 flights, Garuda shows only 1 with a 737, the only other is 'Australian Airlines' which although scehduled is semi-charter. So I would stick with SQ. Flight is 2 hr 30. Now, "Silk Air"(MI) is owned by Singapore Airlines and operates booking/ticket/mileage wise just the same as if it 'was' Singapore Airlines. So you need to check a DPS-SIN-HKT(Phuket) fare. Silk Air were flying 3 x daily SIN-Phuket but have dropped it down to 2 but it should be up to 3 by November, they really get full from Thu night over the weekend so avoid that period, also avoid DPS-SIN on a Sunday night, though if you can get seats a long time in advance fine, but if you are leaving it until later appreciate that these flights get packed with weekend trippers.

From Phuket to Bangkok no problems as over 20 flights a day, Thai do it with almost all flights on 747-400, 777 or A 300, all wide bodies. Bangkok Airways, Thaia Air Asia, Nok Air, One-2-Go. if you want to book from the U.S I would just book Thai ( about $55/60 one way). Thai and SQ are both Star Alliance so you can pick-up mileage against United.

OAG Guide:

They do it ordering online as an annual subsription at $124, but you don't need a subsription. In Asia many bookshops stock it so I would go to your local Magazine/Book shop and get them to check their screen for it, it should come up and just order 1 copy. ( I order mine from BKK but I get it maybe twice a year, good enough, it helps you see all the flights but then you can check with airlines about up to the minute schedules ) Lots of handy information, like all the airline phone numbers in different countries, time zones, national holidays, lots in fact, size of a paperback, handy keeping with you on your trip.
This tells you about it and you can see why it's so useful, but you don't need membership, bookshops stocks it but your local one may have to order it for you.

Part of their sales push is that whilst others are scrambling for a phone or trying to get info from airline staff the 'relaxed traveller' is simply browsing their OAG, it's true though!

http://www.oag.com/product_catalog/d...557&ctyorg=USA
Mar 31st, 2005, 12:29 PM

Sorry to add to your dilema but you say December, will that include Christmas and drift into New Year, it does get very busy over that period, I would get those FF flights sorted as soon as you can.
Mar 31st, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi James:

Thank you again. Now can u give me what u said in plain English - LOL. Do you think we should fly into DPS first or Go to BKK first. Can you please describe the flight route that we should be taking; Examaple: DFW to Bali first, Singpore first or BKK? I can't think. The intineary I want is (not in order:from US - DPS, SIN, Phuket and Bali, I guess HKK too not sure how to arrange all this? Forgive me for not getting this ), not sure whether to fly into bali first and then what?
Mar 31st, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

James:

I meant to say: From DFW to ( not in order: Bali, SIN, Phuket, BKK and maybe HKK since Cathay hub is HKK and we get free stop over.
Mar 31st, 2005, 06:51 PM

i like the second trip idea---all going in one direction--south....you should be able to return from bali to HK or you may have to fly through some other gateway....i got a good flight from bkk to bali on thai using a thai agent via [email protected]
Apr 1st, 2005, 12:29 AM

My thoughts on your route:

1. There are no non-stop flights to Bali from DFW, you will have to transit through an Asian city first, and from DWF you will have AT LEAST TWO changes to get there, total trip time will be about 25 hours. IMO a number of changes will only make what is a very long flight even longer. You may also arrive into Denpassar very late at night, as opposed to a daytime arrival elsewhere, which again will make a long flight seem even longer. You can get to HK in 18 hours with only 1 change required. Bangkok and Sípore are a bit of a toss up with Bali as the trip is only about 3 hours shorter, but you can usually get to Sípore with only 1 change which makes the trip a little more manageable, IMO.

2. I like to start in a city first where there is a lot to see and do, and end with a beach or scenic location where the focus is on seeing less and going at a slower pace. I would therefore do HK, Sing or BKK first and a beach last, or intersperse a beach with city.