Revised Thailand itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK here is the revised itinerary after reading everyones suggestions and a lot of old threads.
Fly to Krabi via Singapore(a full day but no nights in Singapore)Arrive 30 Jan
7 Nights at Ao Nang beach with a side trip 2 nights in Chiaw Lan Lake area.
6 nights in Bangkok.
4 Nights Seim Reap
We are flying Via Phnom Penh. No nights but a full day in PP to give us a little look around. The fares were half the cost of flying direct.
6 Nights Chiang Mai where we will try to have an overnight trip to the Golden Triangle.
Thanks to all who have contributed to this plan. The budget does not stretch to 5 star so we are trying to stay in serviced apartments where possible.Not quite as nice but very practical with our 20 year old daughter coming along.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 11:20 PM

Don't know if this would work for you, but Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass might make international legs cheaper since you are flying BKK-Siem Reap and BKK-CM already. If you have 3 legs, it would work. They also fly Singapore to Phuket with a stop in Samui.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I did look into the discovery pass but they can't compete with the current wave of discount airlines in Asia. The pass was $350 Australian compared with $200 to go through Phonm Penh.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 02:26 AM

This itinerary looks good. Remember Air Asia has very tight luggage restrictions. You'll have the opportunity to get lots of laundry done. There will be many signs.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

I think it is 15 kg. That is not much after you take into account that the case often weighs 4-5 kg empty. Luckily it is hot here where we go and always warm in Thailand. Do they have laundries that you can leave you clothes in the AM and collect clean and dry in the PM? We will just have to wear our heavy hiking boots on the plane all the time.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 06:52 AM

Wait - why are you bringing heavy hiking boots??

(and yes, there are places you can leave laundry in the am and pick up in the pm)
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 06:55 AM

there are many laundries....most want to you leave it today and pick it up tomorrow or the next day....requires some planning...

you new plan looks excellent...

remember the discount airlines, besides have horrid baggage limitations, have other service problems like being late and cancelling flights...
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Wear your hiking boots onto the plane. Saves weight.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Oh yes, I must say I didn't really consider cancellations of flights. I suppose all I can do now(all booked) is remember to say my prayers every night.
The reason that we are taking hiking boots is because I am traveling with my husband and daughter. They both loathe shopping so we are going to do lots activities and even a few hours of walking is made easier with the right boots.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 04:25 PM

I don't think you need the boots. We wear good sandals no problem.

Sandals for Angkor temples are perfect (good ones, not flip flops). We also went to Phnom Kulen and hiked a bit around the big waterfalls and to see the lingas carved into the river as well as the temple up there...hiking boots would have been a problem there...it's hot and river walking is wet....good sandals like Teva were ideal. They are also lightweight. We wear the same for elephant camp where we have to hike in and out of the jungle morning and afternoon for at least an hour...there too, hiking boots are a problem rather than an asset due to the heat, the weight of the boots, and the water issue.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 05:47 PM

I wouldn't wear heavy hiking boots. I did want toe protection at Angkor, and wore Merrills. Someone else here recommended Keens. But big, heavy hiking boots? They are not only unnecessary but too heavy and hot to wear in SE Asia.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

ok Hiking boots have been veto'd. Have been out and purchased suitable sandals.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM

Good plan.