My Trip to Thailand...Got Advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone. In late November I will be on vacation in Thailand for 2 weeks. I am a 37 year old man who is active but who also enjoys rest and relaxation. In this trip I want some adventure, beautiful scenery (beaches, mountains), a little SCUBA diving, shopping bazaars/markets, riding elephants in the elephant conservation camp (exact name?), seeing historical architecture and cultural, and taking LOTS of pictures. Here's my questions for you:

(1) I am trying to "keep it cheap" which to me means $40 to $70 hotels, the occasional $100 to $120 hotel. I also want to keep my trip flexible and not be so tied to tight schedules due to hotel reservations here and there. Is it possible to travel in Thailand and book hotels just a couple of days in advance without the price of the hotels being higher than if I had booked them weeks or months in advance? Or should I just book my hotels weeks in advance to make sure I dont go over budget?

(2) Similarly, I've seen recommendations that I should not worry about buying intra-Thailand airline tickets until I am actually in Thailand on my trip? Is this true? Or will the price jump higher than if I had purchased them in advance?

(3) Finally, my itineray definitely includes the following: 4 or 5 days in Bangkok, 2 or 3 days in northern Thailand (perhaps the golden triangle area), 4 days in Koh Samui and then 2 or 3 days in Singapore. Is Singapore worth it? Would be Malaysia be better? Or should I just stay in Thailand? I also thought about jumping over to Koh Phi Phi island just because it is so Robinson Crusoe like and so beautiful. What do you think?

I'd appreciate any other recommendations you have. Thanks for your help!!!
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 08:00 AM

It sounds like a great trip! I enjoy Singapore, but with just two weeks, I'd suggest you stay in Thailand. Singapore is significantly more expensive than Thailand, so eliminating SIngapore will give you a bit more money to spend in Thailand.

In my experience, I can get far better hotel rates on the internet than I can in person. So I'd recommend that you book hotels ahead. That said, you can book on the internet when you are already in Thailand, thereby keeping your schedule flexible. (Use one of the Thai booking services like sawasdee.com) Do book your first stop hotel before you go, plus anyplace you feel you MUST stay, as late November is getting into high season.

You can book plane tickets in Thaland for the same price as you can ahead of time. However, if you have an itinerary that means you will fly 3 legs on Bangkok AIr, do consider their Discovery pass which will cost just $50 a leg within Thailand, but which must be booked outside of Thailand.

You could certainly visit Ko Phi Phi, the weather will be good (better than on Koh Samui in late November). I'm not a diver, but I understand it is much better for diving than Koh Samui as well.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 09:42 PM

Have you considered a trip to Angkor Wat in Cambodia? You fly to Siem Riep in Cambodia from Bangkok. It is only a one hour flight. If you are looking for a way to spend some extra days it is well worth the trip. The ruins are absolutely fascinating.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 11:34 PM

Just to sort of echo what has already been said: You get cheaper airfare and hotels if you book well in advance. This is especially true of airfares. If you're on a budget, go with the budget airlines, and the further in advance you book, the cheaper the airfares are.

The same is true of hotels. The low internet rates may be limited to only a certain number of rooms, so if you leave your booking to the last minute, you may find yourself paying more. This is especially true since you're coming in the high season, when rates are already higher than they are now.

Have to agree that Singapore is great, but I wouldn't include it on a first trip to Thailand. Likewise, it takes at least 5 days to really see Angkor the first time, so I would leave it to later.

There are some very nice hotels in Bangkok, and almost everywhere else in Thailand under $50, if you do your homework.

Samui is one of the most expensive places to stay in Thailand, both in terms of accommodation and living costs. You might want to consider someplace like Koh Chang, where the accommodation is less and the diving is better.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 11:41 PM

Hi, was In Thailand in Jan/Feb this year, If you want great beaches, scenary etc have you thought about Krabi? Railay in particular.(Railay Bay) has a lovely beach with super limestone rocks coming out of the sea. Great for swimming, canoeing, rock climbing etc and a super spot for a few days chilling probably 3/4. Samui was ok but it is turning into a bit of a concrete jungle, it reminded me a bit of Spain 30 years ago. We visited about 10 different areas during our trip and Samui was the only one that I would not want to return to. Had lovely beaches but it is just spoilt now although it has lively places at night. Phi Phi is still badly damaged after the Tsunami with lots of work still to do. I can send you some pics of Railay if you would like to see the beach.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 05:08 AM

The information for the elephant conservation center is at www.changthai.com.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 05:28 AM

Lovinlife..
I'm not male, I'm female. I'm not in my 30's, but my son is. I've traveled to BKK and Thailand with my son a number of times. The first time we went, we had only our first night booked in BKK. I was a little uneasy about doing things that way, because I used to always plan ahead. We did not have any of our 'extra' travel arrangements made ahead of time either. We were able to do everything we wanted to do, and with a lot of flexibility.

You can buy your airline tickes in Thailand the day before you travel, and pay the same price you would have paid two months in advance. You do not have to be tied down to a strict schedule! You should have plenty of options for hotels in your price range.

Your schedule sounds fine to me. I've been hearing that Samui is pretty crazy with tourists and Phuket on the other hand has some pretty nice quiet beaches. Samui is also supposed to have some special deals available, in order to draw the tourists back in.

I would also agree that you forget going to Singapore at this time. I've not been there, but I know for sure that you can spend two weeks JUST in BKK and not see everything.

Enjoy your trip.

Carol
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:16 PM

couple of thoughts...i'm not sure you save all that much by booking ahead on either flights or hotels...BUT THE ISSUE IS AVAILABILITY at a late booking stage...it can work for and against you especially with flights...there are many recent complaints about flights being full...

with hotel sites like: www.huahin.20m.com
you can make late reservations---a day or so in advance---and get inclusive pricing including tax/service and breakfast....

i have done this from home and from thailand...you need at least 36 hours advance notice...

i too would skip singapore this time...there is plenty to do in thailand...

november is the beginning of the high season so you won't be there alone...and prices will be at top levels...

not sure you would find the north country to your liking...not all that much to do...

the beach areas are very nice, but watch which ones as there are seasonal problems....beaches are much more expensive for hotels generally than is bkk....
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 03:00 AM

in Asia and other location.. air fares are priced by season and don't change much.. many travel agencies i've been too don't even have computers they just have a book with prices, if you decide too buy they just the airlines and check availabilaty and thats it.. come too think about what the point in using agents anyways.. well actually finding consaladated (sp) airfares threw agencies is a good idea and remember to call/reaserch a couple of travel agencies many cut diffrent deals with difrent airline cariors and wholesale ticket destributers.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:10 AM

November is just about the height of the NE monsoon and with 490mm of rainfall (about 20 inches)is Samui's wettest month. It averages 20 days on which it rains and 3.6 days when it's 35mm or heavier (nearly 1.5 inches). Phuket and the W.coast do better with 210mm; 17 days on which it rains and only 1.7 days when it's 35mm or heavier.

While I've never been inconvenienced for more than a couple of hours during a Samui November, I have been soaked.

Take a tip; take a brolly.

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:58 AM

First, Skip Singapore Thailand is the best. Everything you described in what you seek for trip is there. Get some books from the library.

Do not miss the market on weekends near the airport-incredible deals.

Go to Phi Phi- the most beautiful spot I have ever seen-Phi Phi Le. Have not been to Phi Phi Don since the Tsunami very saddened by its destruction-but the Island was over built.

Go to Krabi, Phuket. Walk all around and shop Bangkok. Ride the boats on the river. Massage. Indulge and enjoy.

MHS
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you so much everyone. You guys n gals are awesome for giving me so much of your time with these answers. I will start researching these recommendations you've given me this weekend. Will let you know what I decide, will perhaps post another couple of questions after this weekend, and will update you in a few months after my trip too. Bye for now. Thanks again!