Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Restaurant suggestions near Asia Hotel in Bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to see the Calypso Cabaret at the asia hotel in Bangkok in August. Any suggestions for interesting restaurants near the Asia? They offer some sort of buffet before the show but I suspect we are better off eating somewhere else. We are just looking for casual Thai food. Thanks.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 01:15 PM

The vietnamese reataurant in the Asia hotel is not bad.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 01:19 PM

I would recommend the restaurant at the Jim Thompson house. It is within walking distance of the Asia Hotel. But it closes at 5:30.

Many locals eat at the food court at MBK. If you want a real Thai dining experience that isn't geared towards tourists, try that.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 03:17 PM

Where are you staying? I ask because another option is to eat closer to your hotel, or someplace that is en route from your hotel to the Asia hotel.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:01 PM

There is a new food court in MBK which is modeled after LOFT at Central chitlom. this is another of the "chic international food courts" that has sprung up all over town. you can get to it by going to tokyu department store. take the escalators to the grocery section of the department store. go up one flight. this is he old thai/internationl food court, take yet another escalator up to where the chic eat, the new food court is located adjacent to roti boy.

ROTI BOY has the best roti breads i've ever eaten. they are addictive.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:13 PM

you could eat any place near to the skytrain because you can get to asia hotel in minutes from any place on the skytrain and there is a direct entrance into the hotel from the skytrain....we left the marriott across the river with on 30 minutes to show time and made it on time and that included a 12 minute boat ride...

a good place would be either central chitlom loft restaurant or at emporium both of which are right on the skytrain...

i'm sure there are others very close to the hotel as well...
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:14 PM

i would not do the buffet....
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

we are staying at Grande Majestic on Sukhumvik (near nana station) so we could choose something close to there - just always looking for options. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 08:36 AM

Sacz in the lobby of the Majestic Grand is a great restaurant. But it is mainly Italian.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 05:38 PM

"Once Upon a Time" is a Thai restaurant in an old house. It's on a soi off Petchburi Road not far from the Asia (near the Amari Watergate). Haven't eaten there in years, but the food was fantastic the last time I did.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 05:59 PM

or you can live on the edge a bit, and just walk across the road from the asia hotel and order a steam boat. Classic street food. We ate a lot of it and didn't get sick at all - my key to getting a real taste for bangkok food is to stop at teh street stalls and eat what's there. note: you might get asked if you want chilli with some dishes - either say very little please or don't have it at all. A Johnny Cash song comes to mind.... I love my chilli, have it with most meals, but am no where near up to the heat tolerance required by Thai street food standards).
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 07:12 PM

shaz is a great suggestion...on the 2nd floor of the jw marriott, next to your hotel, there are both a very good thai restaurant and a very good chinese restaurant....

you could easily stop at the loft at central chitlom dept store, 7th floor, on your way to asia hotel....easy on, easy off of the skytrain...