Renting Portable wifi and iPhone use in Japan

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a techie so please bear with me. I have an iPhone 7 Plus and Macbook Air and will be in Japan for about 2 weeks. My son is there as a student and he was given a portable wifi device. I read that one can't just buy a sim card or unlocked wifi hotspot, and should rent one. I found such info here:http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html I thought this seemed like sound advice, especially since my son's school lent him such an item. Global seems like a large reputable company--one orders the device for pickup at the airport, in my case Kansai, and then drops off in a mailbox. Does anyone have info about this? Would I still have to buy a SIM card for the iPhone? It looks like one wifi device supports several phones and laptops so my son and I could share it. We will be traveling to some places where wifi is apparently problematic, such as Naoshima Island and Nikko. My son said you can get wifi at every convenience store but have to log in each time and it is not secure, so if this plan works I would rather do this for us both. Thank you!
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:36 PM

The point of a portable hotspot is that you carry it around and it's effectively your both your access point to the internet and your router that directs the information to your phone. Then you use the phone through wifi only (no sim needed). You laptop (unless it's about 20 years old) has wifi.
Old May 15th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, that is what I thought. Now I "just" have to sort out the rental of the device.
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:38 PM

yeah, also i don't really know global advanced but when I was in tokyo recently I rented a pocket wifi from a place called genki mobile. I had no problems and i was able to chat with them about their services through their website! So if you haven't set your mind yet on which company to go with then you can check them out too? here's a link! https://www.genkimobile.com
Old May 16th, 2017, 11:21 AM

^^^NB - "your" laptop would have wifi.

Japan has TONS of portable hot spot vendors and options, so the main problem you should have procuring what you need will be picking a vendor, not finding one.

You may want to check the arrival airport website (Narita/Haneda, whichever) to see what vendors they have in the terminal for you.
Old May 16th, 2017, 01:13 PM

http://www.rentafonejapan.com/
Old May 16th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Yes, thanks. Comparing vendors, costs and services is a little complicated, but clearly renting is the solution!