Mobile WiFi for Tokyo & Okinawa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Fodorites. My mother and I are headed to Japan. I'll be going only as far as Tokyo, but Mom will be continuing on to Okinawa to stay with family for a month. As I'm on Verizon (with no partner networks in Japan), I'm thinking of renting a 30-day mobile wifi unit for the two of us. That way my Mom can use her ipad to facetalk, check email, etc., while she's there. I'm not entirely sure yet if her niece has wifi.

But does anyone have experience using a mobile wifi in Japan? If yes, which vendor did you use? I saw one Fodorite used CD Japan, but there are a lot of vendors offering pocket wifi, at all different ranges of prices.

Can anyone offer a recommendation?
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 05:18 AM

Japanese mobile wifi is amazing. It killed me to return my unit and head back to the spotty-coverage USA. It's an amazing service.

After review, and positive reports from other Fodors participants, I rented from Global Advanced Communication.

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

Included in their service is delivery to your hotel (or other) a day before your arrival (so if you arrive early in the morning, you don't need to add another day--it's included) In your package there is a return, self-addressed envelope that you can drop in any mailbox or hand the the concierge at your hotel to mail.

The quality of the wi-fi is great and the wi-fi units are tiny. I ordered an extra battery, but never needed it.

Bottom line, you will be very happy with both Global Advanced Communication and the service.
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, BostonHarbor. I wasn't sure what I'd do, as my cell account is with Verizon, and they don't have any "partners" in Japan to offer me a reasonable data package overseas. (They were great in England, though.) And this will be nicer for my mom, as she's staying with relatives, and won't have to bother them with asking to use their computer. I wasn't even sure they had internet in their house.

So glad to hear the mobile wifi works well. Hoping it works well down south on Okinawa too!

Thanks for the recco on global advanced communications. Will check their rates!