Recommendations for a diving holiday

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for recommendations for scuba diving holiday either in Thailand or Malaysia. Don't mind staying in a resort facility, provided we can be taken out to good diving spots over coral reefs.
Any ideas would be most appreciated.
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:14 PM

You can try Ko Lanta or Phi Phi in Thailand they have great resorts to stay in, caters to all budgets.Great dive sites and good dive operators to chose from.The only thing is the waters may be a bit unsuitable to dive this time of the year,if you're planning to go now.Check with them.
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:25 PM

Yes, that was going to be my first question: what time of year would the trip be? That makes a huge difference in where you should go, as monsoons move through different regions at different times.

There is very little diving directly from hotel beaches in either country, you have to go out on boats to get to good sites. There is no disadvantage to this, in fact it is better IMO because you can go to remote sites and don't have the interference of boat traffic, etc that you would get diving off a resort area.

Finally, do you have a budget and would you consider charting a crewed live aboat boat (pricey but really the best way to dive IMO esp for Thailand) or doing a group live aboard.
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:32 AM

Perhentian Islands, Malaysia if you are talking about this summer.

Similan Islands (on a liveaboard will get you to the best sites) if you are talking about next winter.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

We are thinking of going to Thailand in February or March next year. Definitely thinking of taking a dive boat out to the reefs. Just wasn't sure which area of Thailand to base ourselves in, to do some diving.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:30 AM

In February & March the Andaman coast offers the best weather, calm seas diving vis .etc and usually March is better than Feb but both are good. Diving is usually around the Similian & Surin Island by liveaboard. The later you go in the season the better the diving and the greater the chance of whaleshark sightings. IMO the diving is far superior to that around Phuket & Phi Phi. I like Khao Lak which is rebuilding itself post Tsunami and has a range of accomodation form budget huts on the beach to boutique 5*. However it is quiet and nowhere near as developed as Phuket. Check out your liveaboard carefully as their is a wide variation of standards of boat and divemasters. I used Sea Dragon a good mid range outfit.

As an alternative check out Sipadan in Malaysian Borneo. I haven't dived there personally, but I know people who have and they say it is amongst the best in the world. Have fun whereever you go!
personally I prefer stat
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate your advice, and Crellston I have taken on board your advice to. I started reading some books on Thailand, and saw mention of Similian Island. The idea of Malaysian Borneo sounds interesting as well.
Once again thank you.