Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Recommandation on onsen/ryokan on the way from Hiroshima-Tokyo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2023, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear more experienced Japan travellers, can you help me with some suggestions please? In two weeks I have an upcoming travelling to Japan from April 10th to 19th, start of with three nights in Japanese Alps (to snowboard if still possible). From there to Hiroshima and then back to Tokyo. All by train (and if necessary, by bus). On the last stretch I would like to have a break in a ryokan. I could do a search along all the places with JR- station, but maybe someone could make life easier... (Prior to Japan I have a few days in Seoul.)

Six years ago I visited Japan for the first time, and I feel so lucky to have the opportunity again. Back then I visited Kyoto, Nara, Tokyo, Nagano and Nikko. In Nagano I had a wonderful experience in a family owned and operated ryokan. I guess I want to repeat the experience in a way.

I'm looking for maybe a stay (two nights e.g.) in a ryokan and enjoy a (public) onsen (I'm tattoo free). The ryokan mainly for the dining. On the other hand, maybe I should focus more on a nice onsen with a friendly atmosphere.

And totally off topic: any suggestions for a worthwhile stopover along the route is als very much appreciated! Maybe this is more the way to go, spent some time in a nice place/town/region and look for a onsen in the neighbourhood. I look forward to reading some suggestions.

Keigu,
Zebby
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 05:19 PM

What is your price range? The meals in a ryokan can cost more than just the lodging. For that reason I would guess that most guests stay for one night. There are lots of ryokan of various styles on the way from Hiroshima to Tokyo. They would typically have a bath. There are not many hot springs on that route until after Nagoya.

Arima Onsen is on the way. It is near Kobe, on the other side of the mountain.

There is a tourist hotel in Takayama (years ago it was Green Hotel) that had a nice onsen bath the only one in Takayama they say.. I would expect that it has a kaiseki dinner and breakfast plan. I didn't stay there. Only went there for a soak.

Sumiyoshi is a nice inexpensive ryoksan in Takayama but just a one-person hinoki tub when I was there.

Gero Onsen is not very far south of Takayama. I stayed there and remember a nice onsen but don't remember the meal. The onsen town is right next to the station.

Near Tokyo, Hakone has traditional (and other) onsen ryokan.

Momijiso is a nice inexpensive traditional ryokan on Miyaja. Nice Japanese bath room but not hot spring water (not a knock).

You could find public baths called sento that are not onsen (hot springs).
Old Mar 18th, 2023, 12:21 AM

We stayed a couple of nights in Sumiyoshi, in Takayama and loved it. The hospitality and food were amazing. Really liked the town too and would happily return. If you are a foodie, it is a major centre for Hida beef, Sake & Miso and, in hindsight , great though the Ryokan food was, we should have had just one dinner there and another in the town. As I recall there was a large cedar bath there that guests could reserve for private use. Not sure if there was a communal facility. Some photo in our blog https://accidentalnomads.com/2008/04...ans-miso-sake/ In terms of value for money, it was great and it certainly had the friendly atmosphere you seek.

Old Mar 18th, 2023, 08:55 AM

Sumiyoshi is the kind of place where they might have a lodging-only option. A two night stay would make sense: one night with meals, one without. I think it was Momijiso where I first saw that option. The lodging plus meals option was a lot more than lodging only (I want to say almost double but that might be exaggeration, IDR).
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I dived into Takayama, the place sounds sooo nice. Unfortunately it’s quite busy and prices are out of my league… Forwarded to Hakone, found something of my interest and changed my itinerary (Japanese Alps-Hakone-Hiroshima-Tokyo) for the time being. I still having doubts to skip Hakone and replace it with Kobe (for the Arima onsen). Need a little bit more looking into those two, Hakone just was first, that’s why.

@Accidental Nomads: your kaseki diner…! Thank you for sharing (and raising the bar
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 05:43 PM

check Sosuke minshuku in Takayama. it is basic, shared toilet, inexpensive. It is across from Green Hotel, so would be easy to go for a soak when it is open to public.

It is three weeks out from your trip. Places may be sold out now, but you can check back for cancellations.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 11:37 AM

Zebby,
I’ve no advice but would appreciate the info for the ryokan in Nagano. Would you mind sharing it?
thanks!
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Sure Progol! Please note that I visited in 2016. The onsen was quite small and the building itself very traditional (wooden inn). I found the stay was sooo nice, also due to the diner which I had twice. It was not just the diner, the whole atmosphere made me smile. And makes me smile again

SHIMIZU SYOTARO
CHUOUKAN SHIMIZUYA RYOKAN
49, Daimon-cho, Nagano City Nagano Prefecture 380-0841, Japan
TEL (81) 26-232-2580
FAX (81) 26-234-5911
E-mail [email protected]
http://www.chuoukan-shimizuya.com/
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zebby
Sure Progol! Please note that I visited in 2016. The onsen was quite small and the building itself very traditional (wooden inn). I found the stay was sooo nice, also due to the diner which I had twice. It was not just the diner, the whole atmosphere made me smile. And makes me smile again

SHIMIZU SYOTARO
CHUOUKAN SHIMIZUYA RYOKAN
49, Daimon-cho, Nagano City Nagano Prefecture 380-0841, Japan
TEL (81) 26-232-2580
FAX (81) 26-234-5911
E-mail [email protected]
http://www.chuoukan-shimizuya.com/
Thanks so much! I appreciate it!
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 07:21 AM

The small city of Atami, well-known as an onsen resort town, is right on the Shinkansen line between Tokyo and Shizuoka City. (The Nozomi doesn't stop there, but some Hikari trains do and, of course, all the Kodama Shinkansens do.) It's on the coast at the top of the Izu peninsula which is extremely volcanic and hence filled with many onsen hotels and baths. Atami has a bit of a faded reputation as an onsen town that was big in the 1980s, but I think it has been enjoying a bit of a resurgence and I imagine you would have your choice of many onsen within walking distance of the Shinkansen (not to mention further down the peninsula). https://travel.gaijinpot.com/atami-onsen/