Re visiting Bali with toddlers

Aug 25th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Re visiting Bali with toddlers

Both my wife and I have visited bali several times before having kids. We're planning on bringing our kids, 5 and 2 1/2 years old this October for a mainly "rest and relaxation" holiday with a little sightseeing on the side (especially for the kids).

I plan to skip the Legian/Kuta/Seminyak strip.

1) Where do you recommend we stay as base ? Sanur ? Ubud ? Nusa Dua ?

2) Any recommended "especially for toddlers" sights to focus on ?

3) Do you know of any car/driver rentals you would recommend ?

Thanks

Eric
Aug 25th, 2010, 07:46 AM

This is my third time trying to answer this - power outage.
We have traveled to Bali, 4 time in the last 5 years.
Nusa Dua - fantastic. Great hotels, pools and beaches. Pricy.
Ubud - love Ubud, great restaurants, shopping, lots of hotels with pools, musuems
Sanur - like Sanur - a little of everything; shopping, hotels, restaurants, beaches BUT no where near as nice as Nusa Dua.
If I was taking 2 little kids: Nusa Dua but remember a little pricy. There is also a shopping center close to all the hotels.
Driver - make sure you get one that can speak English, is knowledgeable, and is a certified guide. Not one that will just drop you off and wait.
We have used Merta all 4 times - and he is great. Speaks very good English, is a certified guide and is very knowledgeable. He has 3 children, maybe he can recommend sites the kids will enjoy. His prices are very reasonable.
We are going back in March 2011 and Merta will haul us arouund including picking us up at the airport. We will be going to Nusa Dua, Sanur, Ubud and Candidasa. If you want any other info, let me know.
Merta email: [email protected] John
Aug 25th, 2010, 07:56 AM

I'm afraid I couldn't disagree more with jonbarb - you couldn't pay me to stay in Nusa Dua. It's an entirely sterile tourist enclave. Yes, it has luxurious hotels, but it doesn't have Bali. I consider it the place for people who don't really want to be in Bali. But I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

For a beach area, I like Sanur. It was a village before hotels were built there, so it retains the character of a village - little shops, restaurants, etc.

The Ubud area is also lovely. Many people split their time between a beach locale and inland near Ubud.

In my experience, there are so many good drivers in Bali, I've never booked one ahead. Someone at your hotel will always have a brother, uncle or cousin who drives.
Aug 25th, 2010, 08:39 AM

I agree with you Kathie. Sanur would be a good beach location and it is a little quieter than the Legian/Seminyak areas. I've stayed at the Besakih a couple of times some years ago and enjoyed it. It's right on the beach and has a couple of pools, including a kids' pool. besakih.com

Depending on how long you will be in Bali, perhaps split your time with a few days in or near Ubud.

I've been to Nusa Dua a couple of times, but it's not my cup of tea at all and I wouldn't stay there. I like to have contact with the locality & people when I travel; at Nusa Dua, it's just a huge enclave of big international hotels. Could be anywhere in the world.

Eric, if it's a while since you have been to Bali, there are a lot more villas now, if that is something that might appeal to you.

Have a look at the Bali Travel Forum, it's a lot more active than this one, and has a large contingent of Australians posting.
Aug 25th, 2010, 07:33 PM

sanur would also be my choice.... with a few days also in ubud...

for that age group there really are not many sites that they might like.... the monkeys maybe, but they can be aggressive... the beach.... the pool...
Oct 29th, 2010, 11:22 AM

Its the end of October - where did you decide to go and did the kids have fun.

Search this Thread