Railay in May?

Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:08 AM
Mike Petrich

Railay in May?

My wife and I along with my mother-in-law are planning a trip to Krabi in May.

We're wanting to see the limestone formations and do a little kayaking/snorkeling, but are wondering about the weather during this time.

Also, does anyone have accomodation recommendations for that area?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:10 AM
Anna

My husband and I along with a friend stayed on Railay in January. It was one of the highlights of our trip. We rented a 2 bedroom/2 bath house at Railei Beach Club (email: [email protected]). The house was beautiful, the only downside was that we had electricity from about 5:00PM to 1:00AM each day. The only time I missed having electricity was during the night, when it would have been nice to have the ceiling fan on (I'm not used to sleeping with the windows and doors wide open!). We liked the house because the lots and grounds were very big, while the bungalows connected with the other resorts were all very close together. They could have fit hundreds of bungalows on the land instead of 20 huuses. If you want AC and 24 hour electricity, I would look at Sand and Sea or Railay village. Both have good restaurants.
http://www.railay.com/railay/intro/intro.shtml

There are some photos of the house and Railay at our website:
http://kerstentraveler.tripod.com/thailand2002.htm

Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:47 PM
Mike Petrich

Anna - thanks so much for your insights and photos. We're tempted to go for the Beach Club for the charm, but are also a little worried about sleeping with the doors wide open (or not sleeping in this case).

-mike

Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:17 AM
Anna

The staff was nice at the beach club and they had cold beverages at the office. You just wrote down your house number and they added it to your bill. We paid 6000 baht per night for "Wolfgang's" house. The staff gave us keys to lock the house but said it wasn't necessary so we never did and had no problems. We left our moneybelts at the safety deposit box at the front desk. As for having the doors open, our bed did have mosquito netting over it - it was actually kind of romantic. The bathroom was gorgeous and our room had a feel of French colonialism, it was like stepping back in time. We put some chairs by the door to give us a sense of security. Our friend stayed in the other half of the house and his room had screen doors. We compared it to staying in a tree house, but a really nice tree house! You may want to email the Beach Club to see if they have availability and tell that you'd prefer a house with screens.

Mar 4th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Mel

Hi Mike. I was in Railei last May. We stayed for 4-5 days and had a great time. You should be aware that weather was not ideal. It rained several times each day, short tropical bursts that sent us off the beach and into a bar/restaurant to play cards for an hour or so at a time. I was certainlly expecting showers, but the amount of rain was still a disappointment. One day it stormed all day (very bad day to try and take the boat to Ko Phi Phi, but that's another story). If I were to go again (and it's a great place), I would not visit that time of year, but we still had a blast and got to enjoy a good amount of beach/water activity.

I don't remember where we stayed, but it was the biggest group of bungalows on the beach. Definitely on the rustic side, but right for the price.

Mar 5th, 2002, 12:14 AM
cristina

I stayed last summer in Krabi, lodged in a Sand and Sea Resort Bungalow. I do highly recommend it, huge bed, A/C, perfect location...I think there is a web page www.sandsearesort.com. Hope this helps and enjoy beautiful Thailand.

cristina