Quick thoughts on trip timing for Japan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting Japan this coming November / December 2019 for 12 days.
I am about to book plane tickets and am wondering 2 things.
Option 1: Last 2 weeks of November - middle wknd would overlap Thanksgiving in Japan (Sat. Nov. 23)
Option 2: Last week of November thru end of first week of December - arriving evening of Nov. 23
- We want to make sure we see the foliage this time of year and were planning on option 1, however I am wondering if things close down for the entire weekend (both Nov. 22 and 23) and would limit our sights for 2 days during the trip?
- If we do option 2 and land Nov. 23 (thanksgiving) then if sights are mostly closed, it would be on our first main day and we would most likely be moving slower anyways and the holiday would thereby have less impact on our sight seeing. If we do this option, is foliage still abundant last wk of November/ first week of December?

Exact itinerary is still being worked on, but planning on flying into Tokyo (spending time there with day trips) then heading on to Kyoto (spending time there with day trips) and flying out from Osaka. This may also end up in reverse (flying into Osaka and out flying out of Tokyo) depending on the dates we end up with....airfare keeps fluctuating.

Thanks!
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 05:09 PM

WE were in Tokyo on the Japanese Thanksgiving about 6 or 7 years ago. At that time, the banks and post offices were closed, but the shops and museums were all open. I don't even recall any more people out and about than usual. Since this year it will fall on a Saturday, I wouldn't expect you'll even notice it.
As far as the fall colors, or Koyo, there usually isn't much difference in the timing for Kyoto and Tokyo trees. in 2018 all were predicted for "Late November". If you're there earlier, you can always head north if you have flexible hotel reservations.
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 05:48 PM
kja

I’m sure you know that the timing of autumn folliage is precarious at best, but in case you haven’t seen it, here’s some info:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014.html

There seem to be several threads on japan-guide.com’s forum about the impact of Thanksgiving Day on travel – you might want to searh it.

Good luck!
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

thank you!
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! This was helpful!
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 04:58 PM

Quick thoughts:

Your option 1 is best.

Don't worry about Labor Thanksgiving weekend. Book lodging in advance.