Quick question on BKK Marriott Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize for not searching the forum closely but husband's breathing down my neck on this and I have to get to work...We're going to stay at the BKK Marriott Resort (on the river) AFTER son's wedding at Suhkothai (love those Marriott points) -- is "riverview" enough to get a nice room, or should we spring for a suite? anything in particular we should ask for in terms of room location beyond that?

More anon about the planning of this wedding -- the religious ceremony will be at the Temple of Dawn, and the reception at Sukhothai. . .and I don't have anything to wear <g>!!
Lisa
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Bob is traveling right now....Maybe he'll be back on the forum soon. He and wife left this past Friday, I think it was. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Oh, RATS - Bob's exactly who I was hoping for. Well, we'll go for riverview, without the suite, for now, and I'll do what I should have done, which is to pore through other posts here, tonight. Thanks Guenmai!
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Just pick a type of room and if you want to change when you get there, they will accomodate. If it's far enough in the future, Bob will no doubt return and chime in with his one and one-half cents worth.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 05:11 PM
CFW

COngratulations on your son's wedding. December will be very full at the BKK Marriott so I would not count on being able to change rooms as easily as you might during some other time of year. I think the junior suite is worthwhile. It is not that much more and the bathroom is much larger & nicer with a separate shower. The room is also much more spacious with a nice sitting area separated from the be by a railing. We loved the Marriott, and loved being on the river, but honestly preferred the views of the garden and the pool from our room.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Though we have not stayed in a Jr Suite there we have had Riverside view rooms on 3 occasions and think they are really nice. I remember Bob had a Jr suite once and didn't think it was worth the extra money. It's a very nice relaxing spot and am sure you will not be disappointed in the Riverview Room.
Sue - Who will be back there in Jan 07
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 06:38 PM

I actually think their suites are worth the rpice, they are on the corners of the river end of the two river front buildings and are really nice, definitely worth the price, IMO. They have a living room, dining area, small wet bar area, and a big bedroom, and balconies running along the front and pool sides corner. Great views for watching river traffic and the pool.

The hotel is three buildings in a U shape, with the open end of the U on the river. If you go for a junior suite or just a river view room, ask for a high floor in either the building in which the health club is located, or the building in which the Market Restaurant is located. The building at the bottom on the U contains the lobby and the views are nice over the pool, but the trees obscure the river view.

I have stayed in the suite 3-4 times and the junior suites more times that I can count and always preferred the suite.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. Husband did just specify riverview, but we'll follow Cicerone's suggestions...if we can. Hopefully our status with Marriott will help.

Lisa
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:54 PM

all the regular rooms are exactly alike or at least all the ones i have seen for 10 years going there....if you want to save $$ go for the regualr room with no river view and if you have any marriott status they will upgrade you, as they did to us last week even with a discounted rate....providing there is availability....you can also ask..

the hotel is in fantastic shape right now....its still our favorite...

the jr. suite offers a small sitting area with a couch and a nicer bath (sep shower room and sep toilet room and double sinks)...we would never pay the extra again...

we do like to see the river but it is not absolutely necessary....
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Bob - thanks for your "on-the-ground" recommendations. Since our dates for the Resort are right around Christmas, I wonder whether we can count on availability for an upgrade to riverview at that season. But we will definitely skip the jr suite - we won't be in the room that much, anyway.

Enjoy the GTG - I wish I could be there to meet you all!

Lisa
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 05:59 AM

reports are that the hotel has been almost at capacity recently and it seemed that way last week, so i doubt you will get an upgrade above the lower levels of rooms....but who knows?? good luck

i believe the hotel is very full at xmas time as many families go there from expat assignments around asia